AFB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Registration here in Tas is primarily to help with pest and disease control and is dealt with by the Primary Industry Dept. Over 50 hives and you need to test every year for AFB and demonstrate knowledge of pests and diseases identification and management...

However to put things in perspective BDI ( If you have paid out for it... ) does cover replacement frames that have to be destroyed under the order and supervision of the Bee Inspector for both AFB and EFB.
But it is on a sliding scale and dependant on the condition of the frames, if they are old, knackered and only fit for kindling, you won't be getting anywhere near the price for replacements.

The BBKA can't effectively manage a swarm list for christs sake
The BBKA swarm list is really managed by the individual associations using the eR2 system. The BBKA provide the link on their website. It works well with a postcode of the position of the swarm. It is much better now as names can be added and removed in a minute or so. In the past it used to be done at the beginning of the season and that was it.

Registering individual colonies would be a nightmare as per a previous post that I cannot find now. BeeBase has apiaries registered- that could be compulsory and/ or individual beekeepers but not individual colonies. I never even know how many I have myself- I do keep records but the total number changes at least weekly in the summer. I am not necessarily in favour of compulsory registration.

The BBKA swarm list is really managed by the individual associations using the eR2 system. The BBKA provide the link on their website. It works well with a postcode of the position of the swarm. It is much better now as names can be added and removed in a minute or so. In the past it used to be done at the beginning of the season and that was it.

I've just looked on the BBKA website at the swarm list map. There numerous examples of individuals who are located so close to each other that you cannot expand the map further to reveal the details of the other person. Sadly this other person is unwittingly missing out because his/her details are unreadable or alternatively, they are double "pins" of the same individual?

I've just looked on the BBKA website at the swarm list map. There numerous examples of individuals who are located so close to each other that you cannot expand the map further to reveal the details of the other person. Sadly this other person is unwittingly missing out because his/her details are unreadable or alternatively, they are double "pins" of the same individual?
A little bird told me that one individual on the BBKA swarm collectors list had a few friends and relatives list themselves as collectors... totally Kosher as all were members of the BBKA!!

Can I use Kosher???
Not sure what is PC in these strange times!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back