AFB outbreak in Wallingford area

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wilderness

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
4 + 1 nucs
Just heard that one of my fellow beekeepers has had 2 of his colonies destroyed due to AFB. He's had colonies destroyed each year in the last 3 years at one of his apiaries close to Wallingford. No problem with his other apiaries elsewhere.

As soon as the movement restriction has been removed he is getting out of the Wallingford area completely.

I lost one colony to AFB last year and I'm expecting a call from the Bee Inspector any minute ....

I`ll keep my fingers crossed for you wilderness.

Darren.

Sorry to hear Wallingford has been hit by something nasty again.

Thanks for the good wishes Darren, Thurrock and Oxford. No call today but I expect one before the end of the week :(

Less than 2 miles.

You're not suggesting a link are you??

I couldn't possibly comment on an open forum.

Less than 2 miles.

You're not suggesting a link are you??

I couldn't possibly comment on an open forum.

According to my bee inspector, almost all outbreaks have been traced to the bees having access to imported honey ??

John Wilkinson
A carelessly discarded container , a damaged insect screen is all it takes !

The good news is "outbreaks" are limited to 1 or 2 colonies because it's dealt with effectively.

The bad news: sparse training and information for an army of new beekeepers, influenced by "honey is better than syrup" thinking, there will be cases cropping up. One of our local beginners did it last year and seems to have got away with it. I'm sure it was mentioned on the course too!

I have a feeling a rather serious outbreak of something nasty was caused by using honey to do something that syrup would have done. Honey was apparently more "efficient" in getting the bees to do what was required ...

The good news is "outbreaks" are limited to 1 or 2 colonies because it's dealt with effectively.

Sometimes and sometimes not. When a whole apiary gets affected the situation can change dramatically..

"honey is better than syrup"

I quite agree ... There is a risk that new beekeepers will do what they think is the correct thing by giving the bees a jar of honey rather than the correct thing in feeding syrup.

I’ve seen a recent letter from FERA (April 30). Some interesting information relating to honey packing plants and AFB outbreaks.
Quote:
“The analysis we’ve [FERA] undertaken demonstrates a strong correlation between two honey packing plants and local AFB outbreaks”
“The analysis does not prove that the plants are the cause or source of the AFB infections. We do accept that the analysis provides reasonable evidence for action to reduce the risks from these two plants and that is what we are discussing further with them.”
“In addition to preparing a paper for submission to a scientific publication, we [FERA] will prepare an information note for beekeepers and will aim to circulate in May.”

I am just wondering........ need conclusive proof for a criminal act, but need less than that for a claim for civil damages....... All to do with probabilities. I reckon that must be close to proof, for a statement like that to come from a body such as fera.

Regards, RAB

I hope you are ok this year, Wilderness. I will certainly think twice about accepting/rescuing any swarms from the Wallingford area. Nice to see that FERA are aware and are obviously thinking about steps to take.

Not nice to have AFB at all. Keep your eyes peeled !

S

Got the all clear !!

Bee inspector visited today and gave me the all clear :cheers2: One of my neighbours was also OK but the other neighbour was confirmed positive on his one colony. All 7 of our colonies are within half a mile of each other.

I've made up a nuc for the guy who lost his.

Wilderness

Hurrah!!!!!!..........Time for a cheeky drink or two at wine o'clock!

Brilliant news m8 & nice of you to sort your neighbour out.:cheers2:

I have heard reports of AFB in this general area before. A few years ago a beek in this area said there had been an outbreak connected to the processing premises nearby. I thought that this potential problem had been addressed. With the proliferation of recycled honey barrels as waterbuts it is not inconcievable that someone aquired one of these that had not been thoroughly cleaned. Last year and the year before there were outbreaks of FB, both types, I think, across a whole swathe of South Oxon out as far as Witney. Maybe there is a negligent or non registered beek out there sitting on a time bomb that other beeks and the inspectorate are unaware of.

I’ve seen a recent letter from FERA (April 30). Some interesting information relating to honey packing plants and AFB outbreaks.
Quote:
“The analysis we’ve [FERA] undertaken demonstrates a strong correlation between two honey packing plants and local AFB outbreaks”
“The analysis does not prove that the plants are the cause or source of the AFB infections. We do accept that the analysis provides reasonable evidence for action to reduce the risks from these two plants and that is what we are discussing further with them.”
“In addition to preparing a paper for submission to a scientific publication, we [FERA] will prepare an information note for beekeepers and will aim to circulate in May.”

A picture says a thousand words

Latest posts

Back