AFB management

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Crikey my little Finnish sweetheart!

You should see the hoops that one has to jump through to fly a DRONE.... or get a license to drive a powerful motorcycle... both "hobbies" apparently!!!

Yeghes da

I have grandfather rights to ride any motorbike but it's 50 years since I sold the Triton I built. Isn't nostalgia great?

Less than £6 for one here (although temporary out of stock at the mo).
£9 at Thrones...not sure I'd consider these outrageously expensive, less than the proceeds from selling 2 jars of honey.
Get it done for free if you call your NBU and tell them you think you have foulbrood.

I keep a kit for both just in case.used efb kit last year but that came up negative.they are handy test kits.

I have grandfather rights to ride any motorbike but it's 50 years since I sold the Triton I built. Isn't nostalgia great?

My last bike was a T110R motor in a handbuilt frame allegedly Mike Hailwood design .. very quick in its day ... sold that in 1968 for £110 ... Oh I wish ... next time I got on a bike was about 20 years ago when my wife's cousin bought a modern 250 cc Yamaha .... frightened myself to death it was so responsive compared to the Triumph ! Got some comments about the wheelie .. little did they know it was unintentional and there was nearly a change of underwear required ! I'd have an old one again tomorrow but 'er indoors has different ideas ...

Oh yeah next time I suspect foul brood I'll jump on my old motor bike and do a wheelie

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2: :sorry: Threads do tend to wander a little off topic but you did such a good job of answering the OP's question in Post #2 there's no harm done ...

So many beekeepers used to ride motorbikes - can't see where the synergy is ? Perhaps it's just a subconscous desire to try to put back some of the dead polliators that I had to wipe off my goggles in the 1960's ?

Went to Scotland for a long weekend a few weeks ago and was astounded at the number of dead insects on the headlights and windscreen when motoring up there ... nothing like that down here in the South Coast conurbation ... rare to see a single dead fly on the headlights. Tells you something about the health of the environment down here ...

But you would only use a kit if you suspected foulbrood

Works out rather expensive if you suspect it several times during a season and just want to do a quick check, microscope is a much better option.

Works out rather expensive if you suspect it several times during a season and just want to do a quick check, microscope is a much better option.

But you do have a large number of hives.if you only have a few hives then checking suspect colonies would be few and far between.

Our system used to rely on bee inspectors having a close relationship with the beekeepers in their patch and a good grasp of local knowledge and the usual suspect.

Unfortunately the NBU jumping into bed with the VMD and acting as their enforcers has kicked that one into touch.

Thank you for the replies ... same/ similar problem here in NZ, at the moment we have a bee group Apiculture nz with a membership of probably less than 4% who have managed to gain control of the AFB management for the last 2 years, won't go into the nuts and bolts, but a disaster, As mentioned, disease control must be organized and funded by Government, modern teh is racing ahead, but we have punitive system with draconian ideas running away and out of control. The out come is going to get ugly , and all for the business for the manuka $'s

Oliver 90, I am well aware of the meaning of inducement, perhaps we can induce you to seek help

Oliver 90, I am well aware of the meaning of inducement, perhaps we can induce you to seek help

So, you have skill of remote healing, but not skill to heal AFB (local healing).

In Germany and in Scandinavia we have different style to treat AFB than burn hives.

You have there 2-3 alternatives
1) disease kills the hive
2) governement comes and burn you hives
3) you cannot move healthy hives to better pastures. You get poor yield and you will stay poor.

That is why people keep their secrets. Governement is bigger problem than afb.

And feral hives have disease too.

Last edited:
Sorry, but you seem to be b***n bead. The phrase I underlined was ‘statutory legal obligation”. You clearly do not know what that means. Go and look it up.

Unfortunately the NBU jumping into bed with the VMD and acting as their enforcers has kicked that one into touch.

Not quite, but I'd agree it's a serious step in the wrong direction.
These testing kits are another symptom of commercial interests getting in the way of the work of inspectors, they don't always work, the efb ones notoriously give falls negatives and the afb ones are vastly more expensive and no more definitive than a matchstick yet they've been rushed onto the market as a collaboration between vita and nbu just to mollify some **** directive from on high to make money at all costs.
The nbu has been crying out for strong assertive leadership for years yet in a climate of bees having massive political clout and politicians desperate to look good by taking an active interest in the welfare of bees the nbu has managed to make a series of retrograde steps imho.

Latest posts

Back