AFB in Northamptonshire

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nopants

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
AFB is in 3 villages now in Northamptonshire. Irthlingborough, Little Harrowden and Finedon. Seems tro be in a Triangle. If anyone lives close by to these villages expect to get a visit from Bee inspector or if you havent already done so notify someone that you keep Bees just as a precaution.AFB needs drastic action.

Very sorry to hear about another AFB outbreak. Have you or any local beeks lost many hives?

Are there any honey packers, honey waste sites or anyone shipping honey into this area?

there is a landfill site at finedon, probably came from there

Not sure I understand this. How does a landfill site spread AFB?

Perhaps weety the cereal biscuit manufacturer discarded a large amount of imported honey to the site, or perhaps it was some honey-coated cereals? (Not suggesting they would, or even might be at all responsible, but simply as theoretically possible scenarios). Or maybe supposedly empty honey barrels finished up there?

Doubt if anyone would be sure. The souce could be anywhere. It could even be a thoughtless beek feeding AFB contaminated honey to their bees. That is a more likely scenario with autumn feeding going on for the last few months! 'Possibly' is likely a better term than 'probably' in terms of certainty, or otherwise.

RAB

I live 5 miles away, i am registered do I need to do anything???

AFB is in 3 villages now in Northamptonshire. Irthlingborough, Little Harrowden and Finedon. Seems tro be in a Triangle. If anyone lives close by to these villages expect to get a visit from Bee inspector or if you havent already done so notify someone that you keep Bees just as a precaution.AFB needs drastic action.

I live 5 miles away, i am registered do I need to do anything???

This thread was started in july 2010,you would of heard or noticed if there was a problem by now, i would of thought.

Latest posts

Back