Advise on combining please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Thought I had a queenless colony so put a test frame in 4 days ago. Sure enough, checked today and queen cells built. So I took the plunge and did the newspaper combining trick with a strong queen colony. Two questions. How long do I leave before sorting the frames out (I'm thinking two to three days)?. And I assume I give priority to brood and then stores when I put the frames in the bottom box (the colony is too small to take it in to the winter in double brrod). Thanks in advance.:seeya:

You broke down all the queen cells? Should not make a difference but I would not be risking it.....

Usual advice is a week. There need be no rush.

Regards, RAB

I agree with RAB. I would usually leave a week or so. A nice calm day when you have time to do what you want without being rushed.
If the colonies are both of reasonable size you will usually see fluffy newspaper on the grass under the hive after 24 hours as it has been chewed and discarded by your gals.

I was told to use the Financial Times as the pink paper is easier to see on the ground. I had to make do with the Daily Mirror.

Back