Advice Re Apiary location

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hi

Similar thread on the go here currently , but i have a different set of surroundings to deal with.

Any advice most welcome.

Have convinced sisters in convent beside school to let me put 2 hives in their good sized grounds about an acre.

Have identified a spot away from school , I guess about 600mtrs/700 mtrs , secluded by trees so out of site , can position to get morning sun and probably then sun all day.

Question have read various reference books as to how and where to site an Apiary all talk of morning sun, given it is Ireand and a heatwave is 27/28 degrees is south facing a problem ? re overheating ?

Also will have 6 foot fine mesh to get bees up and away , does this tend to block low winter early morning beneficial sun ? appreciate distance from mesh has an impact but assuming hive must be 2 mtrs approx so mesh is close enough to get them to fly high ?

Thanks in advance !

They won't overheat, they will be fine for winter even if shaded

Worrying too much, safety first, the bees will manage with most other things!
E

Thanks,

Worrying too much, safety first, the bees will manage with most other things!
E

Sure , but in our climate generally wetter duller than southern UK morning sun, and sun in general the bees seem to revel in, even the hive I have at my allotment which gets minimal sun, versus on nearby that gets slightly more, the difference in general pep of the bees is noticeable.

So why not strive for the optimum situation given the tough time bees have surviving and the pressure on colonies for all sorts of reasons.

So what is " Optimum " setup re location , sun exposure, surround fencing, orientation of hive opening and any other relevant data

Thanks again !!!

Thanks,

Sure , but in our climate generally wetter duller than southern UK.

Morning sun, and sun in general the bees seem to revel in, even the hive I have at my allotment which gets minimal sun, versus one nearby that gets slightly more, the difference in general pep of the bees is noticeable.

So why not strive for the optimum situation given the tough time bees have surviving and the pressure on colonies for all sorts of reasons.

So what is " Optimum " setup re location , sun exposure, surround fencing, orientation of hive opening and any other relevant data

Thanks again !!!

My bees all face south and have done since i started in 2010. They survived 32C (lots of fanning). Open mesh floors with no bottom boards in summer make all the difference..

Thanks.

And in autumn , Spring, Winter what arrangements do you have re floor, open, partly open, when do you change if you do ?

Brian.

Latest posts

Back