Advice please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWINKLE64

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hi everyone. I am looking for information regarding bees making home in house walls. We noticed large bees appear to have made home in our house wall cavity via a hole in the brick mortar. I have found some information to say this is ok and they should be left alone and will leave in the autumn at which point I can safely block the hole. Is this correct? They look like large bumblehanks

These are the bees going into the cavity

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210524-064648_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210524-064648_Gallery.jpg
    780 KB · Views: 52
  • Screenshot_20210524-064727_Video Player.jpg
    Screenshot_20210524-064727_Video Player.jpg
    509.1 KB · Views: 49
Yes there bumbles and really are harmless, unless you go stand on 1. They won’t harm you or the building. Leave alone until the autumn and block up once activity ceases. Ian

Why block the hole? your bumbles will cause no problems.
Certian bumbles will use the same nest area year after year, there nest is never going to be big and I can't see there will be problems or damage to your Cavity wall..

If the bumbles nest is well out of people walking past I would leave them alone.

We moved our honey bees out of the garden and I'm wanting to build a honey room where they were, I had noticed that there is a bumble nest in the concrete plinth where the hives were stood, so now my honey room is on hold and we are using the area as a wildflower garden instead untill the autumn.

it's quite a special thing and lucky to have them nesting in your garden /wall pollinating your flowers and fruit ,i think the blackcurrant and raspberries are going to do well this year in the garden. :).

Why block the hole? your bumbles will cause no problems.
Certian bumbles will use the same nest area year after year, there nest is never going to be big and I can't see there will be problems or damage to your Cavity wall..

If the bumbles nest is well out of people walking past I would leave them alone.

We moved our honey bees out of the garden and I'm wanting to build a honey room where they were, I had noticed that there is a bumble nest in the concrete plinth where the hives were stood, so now my honey room is on hold and we are using the area as a wildflower garden instead untill the autumn.

it's quite a special thing and lucky to have them nesting in your garden /wall pollinating your flowers and fruit ,i think the blackcurrant and raspberries are going to do well this year in the garden. :).
Spot on
I leave a hive cosy with a brick on it in the grass somewhere in the apiary and we get nests in it every year.

We had bumble bees nesting in a hole in our wall that some builders hadn't blocked up. If you went into the bathroom in the early hours you could here them busy at work At the end of the season all was quiet and none have ever been back; which is not surprising as bumbles leave quite a load of rubbish behind when they all die off as unlike honey bees there is no point tidying up. All rather sad really. I like bumble bees, I wish honey bees were as nice.

They are Bombus Hypnorum species aka The Tree Bumble bee.
They are early bee dwellers and usually have finished by late August.

There is a Twinkle on another forum I frequent, do you happen to self build and ride e- tadpoles ?

Three wheel recumbent reclinedl trikes with single rear wheel, because the rear can wiggle a bit.

People with balance or back often issues use them as you can almost lay down in a comfort position and push on the cranks set ahead of you on the boom. The Tadpole is highly stable with low CofG, the traditional looking upright trike with single front wheel aren't always nice to ride and have stability issues for some.

People with balance or back often issues use them as you can almost lay down in a comfort position and push on the cranks set ahead of you on the boom. The Tadpole is highly stable with low CofG, the traditional looking upright trike with single front wheel aren't always nice to ride and have stability issues for some.
I reckon with a tweaked up lawmower engine on the back of it that could be a lot of fun competing with the mobility scooters that some people seem to think have right of way over pedestrians ...

And it would easily slip under a lorry as you try and get to the front of the queue to ignore the traffic lights 😁
Looks like some mad yank redneck got there ahead of me ... pity about the video quality but looks like a lot of fun ... put a 250cc yamaha engine in it and you could hold the motorised tadpole world land speed record !

I reckon with a tweaked up lawmower engine on the back of it that could be a lot of fun competing with the mobility scooters that some people seem to think have right of way over pedestrians ...

Except totally illegal and needs MSVA type approval, as a legal pedelec with 250w electric hub or crank motor they will leave a mob scooter behind.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back