Advice please, varroa treatment weak hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Does anyone have advice on least harmful varroa treatment for a wasp-predated weak hive? Probably no bigger than an average size nuc, although still housed in a hive.
All the regular treatments seem to run the risk of bee deaths and a weak colony cannot afford to lose any more.

Does anyone have advice on least harmful varroa treatment for a wasp-predated weak hive? Probably no bigger than an average size nuc, although still housed in a hive.
All the regular treatments seem to run the risk of bee deaths and a weak colony cannot afford to lose any more.

You could use Apivar strips, Apistan strips (if you haven't used them regularly in the past), vaping apibioxal sans additives. Non of which kill the bees. Come to think of it, I'm not really aware of any treatment that kills bees.

Have you any really strong hives..?? What about moving a frame of brood and young bees into your weak colony.?

Avoid apigaurd/thymol macs/acid ..use vape apivar or apistan

Last edited:
Have you any really strong hives..?? What about moving a frame of brood and young bees into your weak colony.?
Yes, two of my three hives are strong so l think that could well be a good plan. I guess there is still time this autumn?

Treat them, feed them dummy down or nuc them. Adding brood from other treated hives maybe BUT don't leave other hives weakened for the winter. Have you still got a source of pollen nearby?

Treat them, feed them dummy down or nuc them. Adding brood from other treated hives maybe BUT don't leave other hives weakened for the winter. Have you still got a source of pollen nearby?
Thanks for your advice Murox, perhaps l should treat, dummy down and let them take their chance. I am feeding them but they are taking very little. Also l see very little pollen going in, but they have been very busy fending off wasps - wasp attack considerably diminished now, but what was a strong hive is now weak.

Thanks for your advice Murox, perhaps l should treat, dummy down and let them take their chance. I am feeding them but they are taking very little. Also l see very little pollen going in, but they have been very busy fending off wasps - wasp attack considerably diminished now, but what was a strong hive is now weak.

Have you got your entrance reduced to 1 bee space ?
Put some kingspan or similar foil covered insulation each side of the frames or move them into a nuc today. Treat them and feed them.

Have you got your entrance reduced to 1 bee space ?
Put some kingspan or similar foil covered insulation each side of the frames or move them into a nuc today. Treat them and feed them.
Yes, just one bee space and the bees are defending well against the few remaining wasps, but they don't defend against me at all, even though I'm not wearing any protection. They are just milling around the entrance, not doing anything much, just mooching about aimlessly, or so it seems to me. I'll take your advice tomorrow - too wet to do anything today.

Latest posts

Back