Advice on showing honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutney

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 - national boxes in WBC outers
I'm a new beekeeper this year and this is my first post. I did the beginner's course at my local division over the winter/spring and got my bees (a 5 frame nuc with new queen installed in my hive by the division chairman) in June. I borrowed the division extractor on the weekend and managed to get 3.5 lb of honey.

I then took the plunge and entered the beginner's class in the Division Honey Show this Saturday. I've just poured the required 2 jars. Will the bubbles clear in time? Anyone have any tips for me?

:)Make sure you can't see a gap between the top of the honey and the bottom of the lid - if you have bubbles try and break them with a needle, make sure the lids are clean and shiny and not scratched also that there is no honey stuck to them inside (I take a spare pair of lids which I put on last minute) polish the hars before putting them on display - make sure there's no foreign objects in the honey (a bee leg floating around is a bit off putting for the judges:eek:)
Obviously you have to use 1 lb jars

Oh, and welcome to the forum

Last edited:
A little bit of warmth should clear bubbles. If you don't have a warming cabinet, try an airing cupboard or the greenhouse or even in the back window of the car.

Anything suspended in the honey can be drawn to the surface for removal by using a drinking straw.

Remove any muck/dust on the surface of the honey using a bit of cling film. Do it a few days before the show and then don't open the jars. This allows a bit of honey aroma to build up in the air space - you'll notice judges will smell honey before tasting.

The show schedule will specify where the label should be fixed - pay attention to this even if other competitors don't seem to be. Make sure you follow all other rules too e.g. don't use plastic lids if not allowed.
Also make sure you don't enter honey in the wrong class e.g. medium honey in a light honey class. Show secretary should be able to advise on the day if applicable.

Good luck

I filtered mine through a 1/200 MICRON 7" SHORT NYLON FILTER SOCK last year purchased off fleabay to 'polish' the honey off

Won the category I entered in my local association honey comp, so it certainly didn't do any harm....

Both jars remain uncrystallized in the kitchen cupboard

Thanks for all your advice. We were out last night so I missed the last couple of replies, but I polished the jars, and made sure they were filled above the bottom of the lid as suggested. The bubbles disappeared of their own accord - or so I thought.

I took the two jars in at 9 this morning and my entry was judged about 11:30. The judges comments were that it was nice and clear and had a distinctive flavour, but that there were bubbles on the surface. I came second in the beginners category (out of two!).

I have thoroughly enjoyed my first honey show experience and will be back next year, when I'll try Chris B's tip of using cling film to clean up the surface.

Thanks again.

John

showing honey

Hi,
showing your honey at shows takes a bit time to get things right but when you start taking first,second or third prizes in the honey classes this is like having a shop window for your product. We have sold many tons of honey to shops and garden centres many years ago only by being succesful at showing
and winning trophies.Thats before beekeeping was not a challenge like it is today

Latest posts

Back