Advice on setting up a bee shed?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moving mine into Slovenian AZ hives in the shed in the spring, modifying it over winter. You can get special cellulose smoker sticks from Slovenian suppliers which are useable in sheds.
May I ask what Slovenian AZ hives are? Do you have any photos?
Many thanks.

They may, but better they're inside the shed and accessible than up in a tree or someone's fascia boards

Yes I agree. You could set up a bait hive inside, but if it were me, I would move any I caught away to an isolation apiary to avoid spread of disease / varroa.

Moving mine into Slovenian AZ hives in the shed in the spring, modifying it over winter. You can get special cellulose smoker sticks from Slovenian suppliers which are useable in sheds.

That should make beekeeping a lot easier for you considering the number of wet days in Scotland, especially if you are on the west coast. It would be interesting to know how the cellulose smoker sticks work out. Although if they are anything like incense sticks they could still be bad for your lungs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/30/health

That should make beekeeping a lot easier for you considering the number of wet days in Scotland, especially if you are on the west coast. It would be interesting to know how the cellulose smoker sticks work out. Although if they are anything like incense sticks they could still be bad for your lungs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/jul/30/health
Yes I'm sure they are not ideal, but any kind of smoke is probably damaging to your lungs. They produce a trickle of smoke and I usually only use when reassembling to clear the way.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 17.17.36.png
    Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 17.17.36.png
    692.4 KB · Views: 3
I once read a booklet on bee houses .
Here are some of the tips I remember .
A ‘ lantern skylight in the roof as a bee escape .
A caution, that bees from a bee house leave the hive entrances and fly horizontally for about thirty feet .
If you place a barrier about 6 feet in front of the bee house , remember that the bees will regard the area between barrier and house as their guarded territory!

They "Slovenia" have a good bee museum too was scheduled to go back but c-19 and all that......

Yes I'm sure they are not ideal, but any kind of smoke is probably damaging to your lungs. They produce a trickle of smoke and I usually only use when reassembling to clear the way.
Yum....look like wafers!

Latest posts

Back