Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

DulwichGnome 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
Hi, following some earlier advice on an other thread, I cut out some spare queen cells and put them into a 'hair roller' and placed them between two frames. Hi presto, one queen has emerged!!

Now I have a mating nuc ready with foundation fitted and I can get a cup or mug or bucket of bees from a hive, question is how long do you leave the bees without before introducing her and what is the best way?

Thanks.

Mike.

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
As the queen has already emerged none of the following is of any use but...

I would have made up a mini-nuc earlier and added the queen cell a couple of hours later. Then leave them all in the dark for four days, with the queen timed to emerge on the third day and the mini-nuc opened at dusk on the fourth day. You can do the same sort of thing with a normal nuc but without the confinement in darkness - add the queen cell and let her emerge naturally and introduction problems are no longer an issue. I have added the queen cells this way at the same time as the nuc was made up - as recommended by Vince Cook - with the timing such the queen emerges the next day.

Last edited:

DulwichGnome 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Number of Hives
8 & 5 nucs all Rose
Thanks Hivemaker. Cup full of bee duly installed in prepared nuc, left to simmer for a couple of hours then queen added with a light dusting of sugar, bees are now quietly content. I will leave well alone for a couple of days and find a good spot for it in the garden.

Mike.

Latest posts