advice on collecting a colony from a loft please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

transporter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I was called yesterday to collect a swarm but when I arrived I was told they were in the loft and had been there for 4 years. I went to have a look and it was a very well established colony with large sections of comb covered in bees. I managed to cut all the comb and placed it in a box but not sure if the queen was in there. I went back today and found a cluster of bees on a roof joist so I put them in the box and left them for a few hours. When i went to check on them the whole loft was now full of bees and didnt seem to be going into the box. First time I have tried to collect something like this so any advice on what to do next would be great

Did you leave all the comb you removed in a collecting box in the loft for a couple of days... or take it away from the site?

A deep brood will often accommodate the comb or even ( shock horror) a big skep with spiles impaling the comb in the box / skep.. then if the queen is on the comb and you have not killed her, you will have at least a chance of removing the colony in one fell swoop!

Yes I left all the comb in a box in the loft, will go back tomorrow evening and see what is happening.

They also have another colony in a tractor tyre that has been there about 7 years so may have to collect that one at some point

Last edited:
I would suggest that they have lost their exit from the loft. They are leaving the box and as there is no light in the loft they are getting lost!!!
Try putting a light during day light hours in the loft, preferably on a dimmer, dim it gently if possible to mimicking night time and hopefully they will return to the box. Best thing I can think of. I would have removed the box at the first instant and left the remaining bees.

they still have entrance available to get outside, they were flying in and out today, I will put a light in there and see if that helps, thanks for the advice

Well just an update, I have now managed to get the bees settled into there new home, They decided to swarm 1 hour after I put them in the first time but I managed to collect them again and now they seem happy. I used the comb I collected from the loft by wiring it to frames and now they are busy filling the gaps not worthy

Latest posts

Back