Advice on bees nest please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flissyg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi Everyone!

I have noticed today that there is 10-12 bees flying around the end of the top of my guttering on my house. They aren’t as big as garden bumblebees but they are round, dark in colour and furry, so I’m almost certain they are some sort of bumblebee.

They aren’t causing a problem where they are located, and I’ve been lead to believe they won’t damage the property so my intention is to leave them alone until they die off naturally. Is this the right thing to do? Also, will they come back next year?

Thank you!

They are probably tree bees. They won't harm your property. They will die off naturally later in the summer. Queens will hibernate elsewhere until next spring when they will find nesting places, so it's possible that you may get bees again but unlikely. So yes, leaving them to it is the best course of action.

They are probably tree bees. They won't harm your property. They will die off naturally later in the summer. Queens will hibernate elsewhere until next spring when they will find nesting places, so it's possible that you may get bees again but unlikely. So yes, leaving them to it is the best course of action.
Thank you for your response x

Most likely Bombus hypnorum - tree bumblebees. You are seeing male patrolling behaviour, eager males lurking waiting for a new queen to emerge to mate with. This happens towards the end of the nest cycle as the nest starts to produce sexuals (queens and males). The nest will start to dwindle now as it has reached it's purpose. Bombus hypnorum is one of the few species that has early, fast maturing cycles which are ending around now and in many places they have two broods a year. They don't cause any real damage in the way honeybee colonies sometimes do so no action is needed. You may be lucky enough to get them next year ;)

A steady stream of fat bees tells me I have a nest of Bombus Terrestris under the hedge. :)

I never get them nesting here unfortunately but I love to watch them and have loved the sound of them buzz pollinating the dog roses above my head while I have my morning coffee in the garden. They are lovely.

Latest posts

Back