Advice New Hive - Winter?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jules

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi there

We started a new hive this year, half of a swarm from a friend and was wondering what we need to do for over the winter, at present this is just the brood chamber, I feed them regularly with sugar (diltuted of course!).
I know from reading the forum not to open the hive up due to it loosing temperature and for piece of mind need to know what else is required.

Many thanks
Jules

Have you thought about treating for mites?

p.s Jules if you click on "USER CP" at the top of the forum then click left hand side "Edit Your Details" and at the bottom of the page add your hive type it could help members with answers.

Its just that sometimes looking after a national can be different from say a top bar hive.

Ooops forgot to state we have treated for mites and I check the board that you slide out at the bottom (not sure if it has a name) for anything.

Many thanks for telling me about adding what hive it is had to ask hubby said it is a National - have updated details.

Cheers
Jules

Hi Jules

Welcome

Like Admin said we need a bit more info before we can advise.

Things like, when you last fully inspect, spread of brood / eggs at that time of year.

If you treated for varroa.

But to simpley answer your question, you should be doing very little at this time of year.

Do you know how heavy the hive is?

Hi Enzyme

Hive was checked about 3 weeks ago, there is 81/2 frames full out of 12 and yes it was Varroa that we treated for, if I remember correctly we only started the hive end of June beginning of July.

Have been out and brought a very good book - Ted Hooper

We were getting a little worried we may of missed out on doing something to the hive, I said to hubby other night do we need to cover hive with anything to keep them warm!

By the way this is a great site - spend some time having a browse on the forum reading other threads and a great blessing knowing help is at hand.

Thank you for this site.

Ooops forgot to state we have treated for mites and I check the board that you slide out at the bottom (not sure if it has a name) for anything.

Many thanks for telling me about adding what hive it is had to ask hubby said it is a National - have updated details.

Cheers
Jules

Your very welcome Jules,regards the correct terminology we are very helpful here as we all started noing nothing about beekeeping.
Please dont be afraid to post because you have forgot the name of something.

Hi Jules

Dont worry we will not shoot you down on this forum for not using the correct tech term. I think we allknow which part you are reffering to "the slidy board thingy":cheers2:

Sounds like you have an opne mesh floor in your hive? These are very good for helping varroa control.

Also sounds like you have a very strong hive from the amount of frames (brood) you describe.

You have aslo bought the beekeeping bible of books, so all round a good progression.

No real problem about keeping them warm they do that themselves.

I have open mesh floors, but on top of my crown board (under the roof) I have a peice of thick carpet, the only bit of insualtion I use.

Have you put mouse gaurds on?

Apart from that, just have a check every couple of weeks for external damage to the hive and give it a quick "tap" on the side for a faint buzz.

Also a quick lift to see how heavy it is.

Hi Enzyme and Admin

Many thanks for the advice and re-assurance that we are doing things right.

Checked with hubby again says hive is very heavy, we do have mesh floor and seemingly we do need to get mouse guards, hubby says for me to put some poison down for any mice until we manage to get the guards, I keep chickens and ducks and keep the posion for the unwanted visitor(s) - Roland and his little friends.

Told hubby (John) about carpet so probably do that to give extra protection.

Must admit your email made me laugh Enzyme when you stated to give hive a quick tap, I always do that, fed them their sugar lastweek and gave hive a little tap (well maybe 3 little taps!) and about 4 angry bees came flying out, did a quick turn and flew in my direction - lucky for me I am so nimble on my feet i dodged them - LOL!!

The farmer who owns the land at one of my apiaries wants to put a new fence around the hives using a jcb and fence post whacker,he keeps saying to me "are you sure if I hit the ground hard they wont all come out and attack me this time of year" I keep telling him he will be fine.:smash:

Hey and mine were little taps not with a JCB!!

Set up a web cam!!!

Hey and mine were little taps not with a JCB!!

Set up a web cam!!!

Glad it is not just me that likes to say hello to the girls with a quick tap or two!

OOOOOO a web cam when and how can we see???????

I asked Admin for one for this sites bees, but he is to tight to get one!

Its not being to tight,I just never planned to have them at home.

OOOOOO a web cam when and how can we see???????

!

What do you expect to see in cam? - Busy bees, feeding larvae, making combs, running here and there, bringin pollen, stinging robbers, biting mites...

You must write to Santa......

hi Jules,it not lowering the temperature you do when you lift the roof or tap
on the hive,its raising the temperature.if the bees are disturbed when they
are clustering ie:when it`s cold, they need to raise the temperature so that
they can fly to defend themselves.this costs them stores and also puts stress
on the colony.so do not disturb the cluster.
not too sure about the carpet either.if you want to check on them wait for a warmish winter day and watch for any pollen going in,or at least a bit of flying.you do need to put a mouseguard on asap.if the hive is heavy,then they should be alright but heft (check weight)every 2/3 weeks,the danger time is at the end of the winter when stores are low good luck.
iombeeman.
:nature-smiley-013:

Latest posts

Back