Advice needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splash

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I sat here with one arm twice its normal size due to my latest sting !
Been to the doctors and he has advised me to stop keeping Bee's.

So the Question is what is a sensable price for 7 full and productive hive's (2011 queens) one queenless hive (added queen cell and Eggs last night) and a Full five frame nuc ( that needs Hiveing ASAP)

Shame as i like looking after my bee's but due to my body's reaction to their protests i am fed up having a litre of fluid in my arm .

ATB
Dean

This is a shame Dean have the reactions been getting worse over time.

dean - presume this was a one off bad 'un.
a swollen limb is not an unusual occurence and is just a marked local response.
you presumably did not have any systemic symptomics of severe allergic reaction/anaphylaxis.
doc is wrong and just gone for the simpletons advice. you might as well have asked a passing toddler. would he tell a car driver to stop driving after a single crash? no.

do you take any meds normally? if so what? did you take anything else before the sting? if so what? NSAIDS (eg brufen) can be culprits as can beta blockers.

my advice for next time - antihistamine (generic cheapos ok - 2 4 1 for £1.99 galpharm 14s in superdrug at moment) before inspection or at least have some to take after.

some people advise sudafed in addition (perhaps save for after sting).

if bad reaction again with systemic symptoms then see doc about an epipen self injector AND urgent referral to immunology for desensitisation BUT only if you have a proper serious reaction NOT just another swollen part.

"my advice for next time - antihistamine (generic cheapos ok - 2 4 1 for £1.99 galpharm 14s in superdrug at moment) before inspection or at least have some to take after."

Big difference between my reaction even to multiple stings when Piriton (antihistamine) is taken beforehand and when it is taken after. I have no reaction, not even itching, when it is taken a few minutes beforehand, but the last time three got me on the leg when I wasn't prepared I had quite a nasty reaction that lasted a week in the end.
I'd try it with Piriton (the smaller dosage, not the one-a-day ones) and see what happens next time. I wish you a pleasant surprise!

"I'd try it with Piriton"

not heard about the global financial crisis?

try generics and send your annual savings to Kazmcc's group!!!!

"my advice for next time - antihistamine (generic cheapos ok - 2 4 1 for £1.99 galpharm 14s in superdrug at moment) before inspection or at least have some to take after."

:iagree::iagree:

alternative is to always do inspections with a doctor present armed with adrenaline and steroids. That's what i do!!!

Dean you say you have six hives so I'm thinking you have had many earlier stings.

What was your reaction then and has anything changed to cause this reaction? New meds?

BTW; a sting in soft tissue will swell more, but hurt less, than say a sting to the ear.

A cold compress immediately after you get a sting might help. A packet of frozen peas or similar could do the job.

Perhaps I have just got quicker at removing stings but I'm certaily having a lesser and lesser reaction these days.

Hopefully you'll find some way to keep your girls.

I too take antihistimine tablet before inspections and swarm collections
I have had a few stings and they only comoare to nettle sting for a short time. I did get stung on my stomach and this swelled and the effects lasted
about 4 days, I agree to try antihistimines before giving up on something
you obviously enjoy .
Good luck.

:nature-smiley-014:

I too take antihistimine tablet before inspections and swarm collections
I have had a few stings and they only compare to nettle sting for a short time.

I did get stung on my stomach and this swelled and the effects lasted

you said it, Dave!! ;) :biggrinjester::biggrinjester:

Got stung under my arm pit on Sunday and the swelling went almost to the wrist - wasn't even beekeping - was strimming the undergrowth around my shed and must have strimmed a bee :(

However I see every sting as helping my body build up immunity (or at least thats what Im telling my children in case they get stung)

Hi Folks thanks for the replies :-

Bit of history, I always swell to any insect bite or sting. Used to be very small bumbs about the size of a 10p.
But i am getting worse hand bites/stings usual result is a swollen hads for three days with loss of finger movement ( yes the swelling is that bad )
Last season i got stung on the outsides of both ankles ( my fault due to forgetting wellies) result was one ankle developed a Blister that measure 25mm X 25mm and raised 8mm ontop of the very large swelling, I could not walk for three days.
I do take Antihistamine usually before i go out in summer.

i currently use loratadine 10mg but have also been prescribed cetirizine dihydrochloride.

Anyway Last night after i was stung i came home ate my tea and took a Loratadine with food.
An hour later i had a massive headache, tight chest, streaming nose and a dry irritateing cough. But no not noticable sting point.
Woke up this morning with clear nose, the last of the cough and an arm that swollen it was tight in a long sleeved shirt !

Went to the walkin centre .

After a day at work with a hurting heavy arm that itches like its full of flea's i think the Docs advice is not to be ignored.

"massive headache, tight chest, streaming nose and a dry irritateing cough"

suggest seeing YOUR GP, describe the above and asking for epipen stat and referral to immunology.

beeks having desensitisation therapy are always advised to give up. almost none do. bee stings are what get best results in the clinic (>90% success).

Back