Advice needed please

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ripplingwave

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello there,

I am currently looking after my friends chickens and they have a bee hive too.

I'm concerned because for the last 3 days now, there have been a large number of them on a railway sleeper in the garden. It looks like they are possibly using the fungus on the wood? They have swarmed over it and I have assumed that they go back to the hive at night but I went over at dusk tonight and they seemed to have no intention of leaving the sleeper. There were no bee's going in and out of the hive either whilst I was there.

It's usually very active and they are in and out all day.

Can you advise me what they are doing? Is it a problem?

Many thanks.

Perhaps they have swarmed are we talking thousands of bees in one big clump.

swarmed

You used the term. I would too. They have likely swarmed. Just suprised they have not yet left for a home further afield.

Thanks for the replies. :)

I would say there is around 300. I worked it out based on the top layer dimensions.

So not that many but enough to look like something serious is going on!

The hive has been extended recently so has extra height now.

Oliver, when you say you are surprised they haven't left for a new home further afield, do you mean this is a new swarm from the hive leaving the majority!?

Also, the large cluster on the railway sleeper (which is part of a veg patch) is only 6 ft away from the hive. I have not seen a single one going between the two though.

I'm a junior beek (!) but is the queen clipped? If so, could they have swarmed but not got far?

I haven't a clue! I only know about bumble bees! :eek:

I couldn't tell you what they have and haven't had done i'm afraid.

I'm just the chicken carer but worried for the bees that don't seem to be going to stay warm at night!

Poor you! When are they due back? Shame you don't live in Norfolk, we need reliable chicken sitters from time to time!

Another 10 days!
They have had bees for about 3 years so I am used to their routine and this has never happened before. Worst thing that has happened was when a hard frost suddenly occured and a few died. :(

Only thing that has changed since last time I was chicken sitting (about 2 months ago) is the hive extension.

I have to walk right next to the swarm on the sleeper to get to the chicken feed and they don't murmer at all, they seem totally engrossed in whatever they are doing.

If I move to Norfolk, I will let you know! :laughing-smiley-004

Yep, you do that!

I haven't the experience to advise you (would only be guessing) but hopefully someone will come up with an idea.

FB

Thanks for your help!

Well I have just been reading up and it would seem it is a new queen with her swarm leaving the hive and looking for a new home. I'm just surprised they have decided to swarm so low to the ground, thats what made me worry!

So, I am guessing I should just leave them be and they will hopefully find a suitable place to habituate further afield?

If you Google your local town/area beekeeping association perhaps someone can come out and help - maybe keep the bees in a nuc until their owners return.

All the best,
Sam

Thanks Sam, I did consider that, I do know someone through someone else who is a local beekeeper. I have text the owners to see what they want me to do.

:)

Latest posts

Back