Advice: How to feed honey back to bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margob99

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
The last time I inspected the brood box, a frame fell apart in my hands (my bad for building it badly in the first place) and, because I was busy, I simply removed it and carried on with the inspection.

Now I have this fallen-apart frame of uncapped honey sitting in the kitchen, and I'd like to feed it back to the bees. How do I physically place it back in the hive? I want to put a round feeder into an eke or something on the top of the hive today, and I thought maybe I could just remove the wooden frame bits and lay the loose slab of uncapped honeycomb onto the top of the frames? Or on a piece of newspaper or something?

The last time I inspected the brood box, a frame fell apart in my hands (my bad for building it badly in the first place) and, because I was busy, I simply removed it and carried on with the inspection.

Now I have this fallen-apart frame of uncapped honey sitting in the kitchen, and I'd like to feed it back to the bees. How do I physically place it back in the hive? I want to put a round feeder into an eke or something on the top of the hive today, and I thought maybe I could just remove the wooden frame bits and lay the loose slab of uncapped honeycomb onto the top of the frames? Or on a piece of newspaper or something?
Hi
How about using some rubber bands to hold it in place on the frame

Grub

In bits on the coverboard is a good bet.

I left a large piece of comb on a coverboard a while back and the bees were filling it, instead of the opposite - really unexpected - they were also the same colony that 'cleaned up' some extracted comb and deposited it in the top-most box, neatly, over several frames even though I had pinched a frame or two from their brood box. They must have been expecting great things that late in the season!

An alternative is to shred and screen; feed the honey back in the feeder along with the other syrup and give them the comb to clean up - or wash the comb shreds and use it to make the feed. Lots of options really.

Regards, RAB

agree with all the above. you could either try tying it into an intact foundationless frame or use the various options to give it back to bees - loose on crown board, smashed up in feeder etc. basically what you would do to clean up cappings.

Latest posts

Back