Advice for Planting Some Land for the Bees...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have just finished planting my 2 acres, set aside for my bees with, Vipers Bugloss and Phacelia.

My neighbour has set aside 5 acres and has to plant then with a little wild bird seed mix and the rest with a honey and nectar mix, which contains, (alsike clover, birdsfoot trefoil, common vetch, fenugreek, lucerne, phacelia, red campion, red clover, sainfoin, sweet clover, white campion and yellow trefoil).

However, I asked him if I could add some of my own Honey Bee seed mix into his, which he agreed to, so I have added 5 acres worth of seed containing Borage, Phacelia, and Vipers Bugloss, all are self seeding and as he has to use the same pieces of land for the scheme every year, the same plants should come through every year.

This now means that from aside to all the Rape seed he plants every year, my bees will also now have 7 acres of honey bee, pollen and nectar.
I hope it works and time will tell...

We have three lavender bushes and this year not one honeybee on them - loads of other bees, but no honeybees - and this is with a wild nest in next door's chimney!

Our lavender was worked heavily last year particularly by bumbles, but also by our bees. They also liked our artichokes.

I have just finished planting my 2 acres, set aside for my bees with, Vipers Bugloss and Phacelia.

My neighbour has set aside 5 acres and has to plant then with a little wild bird seed mix and the rest with a honey and nectar mix, which contains, (alsike clover, birdsfoot trefoil, common vetch, fenugreek, lucerne, phacelia, red campion, red clover, sainfoin, sweet clover, white campion and yellow trefoil).

However, I asked him if I could add some of my own Honey Bee seed mix into his, which he agreed to, so I have added 5 acres worth of seed containing Borage, Phacelia, and Vipers Bugloss, all are self seeding and as he has to use the same pieces of land for the scheme every year, the same plants should come through every year.

This now means that from aside to all the Rape seed he plants every year, my bees will also now have 7 acres of honey bee, pollen and nectar.
I hope it works and time will tell...

The plants have been in flower for a few weeks now, so I think that is my bees June gap sorted. Photos added...

Latest posts

Back