Advice for Planting Some Land for the Bees...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bee-Key-Pur

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
1+
My bees didn't do very well this year during the June gap, but it was a problem for them in July also.
So I have set aside 2 aches of land that I want to plant up for the bees, at the moment I am thinking white clover, but don't know if that will take them through those months.
Any other suggestions appreciated.

Brian

Best results I've seen for honey crop specific planting was phaselia ( not sure about the spelling )

i know when planting,even one plant counts,but really like how many plants or rows would i need to plant near my hives to really get a good flow going folks? my bees are one field from a river,what plant would be best to plant or sow along the river for them?
Darren

i know when planting,even one plant counts,but really like how many plants or rows would i need to plant near my hives to really get a good flow going folks? my bees are one field from a river,what plant would be best to plant or sow along the river for them?
Darren

NOT Himalayan Balsam !! :eek: :D

how about a wildflower mix especally for bees , you could include clovers ,borage, cornflowers sunflowers, , for more permanent planting some trees would be good, like willows, hazel elderberry

Cotswold seeds do some cheap seeds and can vary to suit. If they haven't got it they might get it - so ask.

Like to know how you get on please.

I agree with Richard. Plant some broad leaf limes as they'll serve you well for the next 50 years over the June gap. Also consider Whitebeam, False Acacia, or even a Hop Tree - all flower over this month.

Perhaps plant up the perimeter with a mixture of Holly, Escalonia (both June flowering), Snowberry, Willow, Hawthorn etc.

Found a very good website that sells barerooted plants (trees and others) for delivery November.

one called www.hedgenursery.co.uk and other
www.hedging.co.uk

BL

My bees didn't do very well this year during the June gap, but it was a problem for them in July also.
So I have set aside 2 aches of land that I want to plant up for the bees, at the moment I am thinking white clover, but don't know if that will take them through those months.
Any other suggestions appreciated.

Brian
If I had a couple of acres that I could seed for bees and wildlife in general, I'd go for a wildflower meadow. Something like one of mixes from here http://wildseed.co.uk/ What you sow depends on the underlying soil type and conditions but the basics are that you get a succession of flowering plants over the season. It can take a couple of seasons to see how the balance works out but the result should be fairly adaptable and having a mix adjusts to whatever the weather conditions throw at it which is harder for a single crop.

No connection - just a previous customer on a small scale.

If I had a couple of acres that I could seed for bees and wildlife in general, I'd go for a wildflower meadow. Something like one of mixes from here http://wildseed.co.uk/ What you sow depends on the underlying soil type and conditions but the basics are that you get a succession of flowering plants over the season. It can take a couple of seasons to see how the balance works out but the result should be fairly adaptable and having a mix adjusts to whatever the weather conditions throw at it which is harder for a single crop.

No connection - just a previous customer on a small scale.

Beware the mixes - someone we know ordered some and scattered it to find hundreds of Thistles were in the mix :eek:

:iagree:

On the nasties controlled plants list or whatever name it goes by.....

:mad::mad::mad:could get you fined for planting it!!!

My Local farmer who has a duck pond in the field across from me agreed to let me plant HB all around his duck pond this year.

The way i read it was, its ok to plant the stuff on your own land. Your just not meant to plant the seeds without permission from land owners. Its been grown in the UK since 1839. Its a bit late in the day to try stop it now.

My Local farmer who has a duck pond in the field across from me agreed to let me plant HB all around his duck pond this year.

The way i read it was, its ok to plant the stuff on your own land. Your just not meant to plant the seeds without permission from land owners. Its been grown in the UK since 1839. Its a bit late in the day to try stop it now.

It is interesting to note that it is classed as controlled waste with restrictions on its disposal and the use/removal of soil it has grown in. Also neighbours can take civil action if it spreads onto their property.

I didn't know any of this until I did a bit of googling after reading the post by icanhopit.

Latest posts

Back