advice for a novice

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat weazle

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
err...

does any one know a thread or website that can give me the basics on beekeeping?

me and a freind of mine have decided that his smallholding is ripe for a few beehives (on one side, loads of heather on the other a field of mostly clover and about a 1/4 of a mile away, woodland thats full of flowering trees)

also is it safe to place hives 30-40 meters from a paddock that has a pair of goats in it or would it be best further away?

many thanks CW

Join your local association for some practical advice is the best.

I rather think you are on the right site for advice.

Welcome.

PH

err...

does any one know a thread or website that can give me the basics on beekeeping?

me and a freind of mine have decided that his smallholding is ripe for a few beehives (on one side, loads of heather on the other a field of mostly clover and about a 1/4 of a mile away, woodland thats full of flowering trees)

also is it safe to place hives 30-40 meters from a paddock that has a pair of goats in it or would it be best further away?

many thanks CW

try

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/learning/documents/Intro 2010.pdf

further chapters here

http://www.scottishbeekeepers.org.uk/downloads/html/downloadsindex.html

and buy a good book like ted hoopers guide to bee and honey, but join your local BKA, get on a course or at least see if they have a training apiary or day visits

AND WELCOME

Last edited:
err...

No idea about goats but i have my hive within 40 m of a field of Dexter Cows no problems but had to move them away from horses which where 50m away from the hives .The horses got very agitated when i inpsected with bees in the air

i`ve got goats and sheep, the goats are about 80ish metres from the hive but the sheep fence is just the other side of the only just planted conifer hedge,about 5m from the hive and they dont seem bothered.

my geese like to sit all around the hive and dont seem bothered either, but i suppose it all depends on the bees.

There is a local beekeeping group in Rotherham that could possibly give you local advice and learning support.

Goto to their web site HERE >>> Rotherham Beekeepers

I hope they are better at beekeeping than rugby (a Bristol supporter and not much chance to bragg these days, so I'll take it when it's offered)!

Regards, R

cheers i'll have a look into the rotherham site

and another question,

whats the best type of hive (i get the impression that it's one of those how long is a piece of string questions) and what are the main diffrences between them?

many many thanks CW

The best hive? The type that fits your values, style of beekeeping and budget. Ask 5 beeks and you'll get 6 answers. You will not know the answer to that question until you have researched a little, seen some and hopefully found a local mentor / club / both.

The most popular in the UK, but not necessarily the best one for you is probably the 'National' or a jumbo variant therof.

The most popular in the UK, but not necessarily the best one for you is probably the 'National' or a jumbo variant therof.

Rubbish....most popular is a log hive, hanging in a tree...:rofl:

Cat Weazle,

My hive is 2 metres away from sheep- no problem. If you read Alan Campion's "Bee's at the bottom of the garden" from cover to cover you will get the basic grounding of knowledge that you require to enjoy a successful first year as a beek. Don't be afraid to ask 100s of Qs on here!

Ben P

South Riding meet at Thribergh country Park, pm me for details.
Dave

Small correction.

Its not South Riding its Rotherham BKA now, they meet at the Phoenix Club off Bawtry road once a month from Jan 2011 and their apairy is based in Thryborough.

Meeting venue is Phoenix Sports & Social Club, Pavilion Lane, Brinsworth, Rotherham.

The new web address will be :- http://www.rotherhambeekeepers.org.uk/

But its not up yet, I have emailed them to ask why - if anyone needs their contact details you can PM me on here.

Jez

There is a local beekeeping group in Rotherham that could possibly give you local advice and learning support.

Goto to their web site HERE >>> Rotherham Beekeepers

I hope they are better at beekeeping than rugby (a Bristol supporter and not much chance to bragg these days, so I'll take it when it's offered)!

Regards, R

thats not the RBKA, see above

My hives are seperated from sheep by a small wooden fence surrounding them, in fact the lambs like scratching up against it, so I'm sure your goats will be fine

bees and goats

not related to the OP directly BUT where does one find a reliable supply of (preferably organic) lord mayor's tricorn hats, large bloomers and strings of bunting that are necessary to provide the various trace elements that goats need in their diet?

Latest posts

Back