Advice about Apiguard gel please

Beekeeping Forum

Help Support Beekeeping Forum:

River Bee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
I am very new to beekeeping, received Nuc end of June and have just noticed the first signs of varroa dropping through the mesh on to floor board. I have been given a round tray of Apiguard to lay on top of the brood box. But I am confused - does the queen excluder sheet go below the Apiguard? I am thinking that I will use an empty super to provide the extra space needed for the apiguard, so the queen excluder could go on top of this. Then on top of that my current super. Can anyone give me the correct order?

Does the Apiguard affect the honey in the super in any way?

Presumably, because I need to keep the fumes in the hive, it should not be opened again for about 2 weeks when the next application of apiguard goes in? Is this correct????

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
Sorry if this sounds a bit obvious but read the instructions first.

The tray can go above the queen excluder if you are using one.

Do not treat if there is a super on from which you are going to extract honey.

There needs to be a minimum of 2cm gap above the tray. You can use an empty super do create this.

You can open up whenever you like within reason.

Close down the hive if possible with an entrance reducer and keep the varroa tray in.

Moggs 

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Hi RB and welcome to the forum. Apiguard should not come into contact with any honey that may be used for human consumption as it will taint the product. The Apiguard capsule should be opened and laid on the top of the frames and left for the requisite amount of time (normally two treatments of two weeks each - see instructions). It's important to keep the hive closed down as far as possible so that the vapour can have maximum effect. A super on top (empty or otherwise) would dissipate the vapour excessively. There should be no need for a QE as you ought not to have any honey-filled supers on anyway. So I would recommend; brood box with Apiguard on top of frames near mid brood point, an 'eke' (more later), then a crown board and roof. Keep the floor closed.

An eke is a narrow 'riser' to enable just enough free space for the capsule (an Apiguard eke, in fact).

Good luck!

Edit - (like wot RoofTops said (and beat me to it))!

Last edited:

barratt_sab 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Also, if you have an open mesh floor, you should keep the board in underneath, as otherwise the Thymol vapours sink in the hive and dissipate too quickly.

River Bee 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Thanks for the advice. The packet I have been given does not come with the full instructions so no wonder I'm asking daft questions. The super in the hive, I had intended to leave for the bees for winter feeding. Following your advice, I will remove it and store the frames in a spare box - and then replace in the hive once the varroa treatment is over.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
The packet I have been given does not come with the full instructions so no wonder I'm asking daft questions

You obviously have a computer and are connected to the internet.

Google is your friend. Instructions, faqs, experience, warnings, etc. It is all there.

RAB

Ruary 

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
smith
The Apiguard capsule should be opened and laid on the top of the frames and left for the requisite amount of time (normally two treatments of two weeks each - see instructions).
Yes do read the instructions my label says one tray in for two weeks and then the second tray in until all the medication is used or supers are applied whichever is earlier.

I have found that the second tray is rarely empty before a total of 6 weeks treatment.

Ruary

Latest posts