Adulterated Honey

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Did anyone read the article in yesterdays Daily Mail. I found it very enlightening. We all know that cheap honey is adulterated with syrups etc and then sold in our supermarkets at ridiculous prices. The article points out that more Manuka Honey is sold than produced and also that the number of hives available worldwide cannot meet current demand.
The most intriguing point, was for me, the vague claims by the suppliers that it is the sampling machinery that is at fault. Trading Standards should investigate the supermarket claim that they can trace their honey back to source.
As local honey producers I am trying to think of a way of getting this article more widely read. From my A Level Economics the Laws of Supply and Demand would raise the price to satisfy increased demand. The true value of our product would be about £10 per pound IMHO.
My apologies to all of you who do not like the Daily Mail.

From my A Level Economics the Laws of Supply and Demand would raise the price to satisfy increased demand. The true value of our product would be about £10 per pound IMHO.
Don't let Eric Beaumont hear you saying £10! His starts at £14 and goes up from there 😃.
And thanks for the apology 😃

I like the Daily Mail but then I am still childish enough to enjoy laughing. :alien::devilish:

The Manuka scam has been known about for years regarding the production and supply chain, but the gullible are easy parted with their money so must have deep pockets.

My son has been googling cholesterol and just informed me there are several sources that advise natural honey reduces bad cholesterol. Maybe we should promote that aspect more in social media?

You could print the article off and sell with your jars. That would increase its circulation.

Did anyone read the article in yesterdays Daily Mail. I found it very enlightening. We all know that cheap honey is adulterated with syrups etc and then sold in our supermarkets at ridiculous prices. The article points out that more Manuka Honey is sold than produced and also that the number of hives available worldwide cannot meet current demand.
The most intriguing point, was for me, the vague claims by the suppliers that it is the sampling machinery that is at fault. Trading Standards should investigate the supermarket claim that they can trace their honey back to source.
As local honey producers I am trying to think of a way of getting this article more widely read. From my A Level Economics the Laws of Supply and Demand would raise the price to satisfy increased demand. The true value of our product would be about £10 per pound IMHO.
I don’t read the Daily Fail either but can you share the link please?

My wife did a blog on honey fraud, it's linked to my commercial site so I won't post a link but if anyone is interested you're welcome to pm me for a link

Latest posts

Back