Adding supers without hurting bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perry

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
What is the trick to adding or replacing supers after an inspection? My bees crawl all over the top edge of the box and despite using smoke or brushing them off they come back and I always crush more than I want to when putting the queen excluder and supers back on. Techniques to save my girls, please!

We were taught to slide on carefully from a corner and then twist into position to square up.

A hardwood wedge can take the strain of a heavy super while you clear the last few bees. Hardwood means they can be flamed to prevent the spread of disease...

R2

Perry,

I set down one bottom edge of a super, tilted and at 45degs off-square, onto the super below; this takes the weight off my back and steadies control. The super is then swivelled and lowered progressively with a constant back-and-forth sideways movement (10mm or so at a time).

The bees get the message and move, and the replacement of a super onto one covered in bees can be done without crushing. Practice with the QX.

Eric.

Thanks, all. I'll try this technique next time.

Just a quick suggestion...

If you stick a super or broodbox box on an upturned lid the bees can form a cluster that hangs down from the bottom of the frames during a hive inspection. I always give the super resting on the lid a puff of smoke underneath before picking it up. This pushes the bees up and helps prevent any getting squished between the frames when the supers are replaced.

What sort of QE. I switched to the wire sort in wooden frame which allows room for the bees on top of the frames exept at the edges & then as people have said put on at an angle and turn gently to square it up.

An old beekeeper friend carries a dog whistle, when carrying out any hive box moving he gives the whistle a good blast, the bees have been trained to sit up and take attention when they hear the whistle blast and immediately get out of the way!

The dog whistle is held in a frame as used by rock stars to hold harmonicas and fits neatly under a veil.

Our Colliedog went crazy the first time she heard it trying to get under the hive stands, apparently the whistle code he uses is the same as for training sheep dogs!

I have not tried it myself as yet.

If you stick a super or broodbox box on an upturned lid the bees can form a cluster that hangs down from the bottom of the frames during a hive inspection. I always give the super resting on the lid a puff of smoke underneath before picking it up. This pushes the bees up and helps prevent any getting squished between the frames when the supers are replaced.

A good tip. :) I've not seen it written anywhere. Exactly what the bee inspector did when looking at my lot.

I have thought I had tinitus since April but have just discovered it is the local beekeepers inspecting, tried it out this morning and yes "It Works"

An old beekeeper friend carries a dog whistle, when carrying out any hive box moving he gives the whistle a good blast, the bees have been trained to sit up and take attention when they hear the whistle blast and immediately get out of the way!

The dog whistle is held in a frame as used by rock stars to hold harmonicas and fits neatly under a veil.

Our Colliedog went crazy the first time she heard it trying to get under the hive stands, apparently the whistle code he uses is the same as for training sheep dogs!

I have not tried it myself as yet.

A dog whistle in a frame as used by rock stars.........tell me you're kidding :)

A dog whistle in a frame as used by rock stars.........tell me you're kidding :)

:iagree:

Looking forward to seeing the video and shortly afterwards getting the CD 101 greatest bee hive hits. :rolleyes:

It's because of his effing whistling that whales and dolphins keep running aground!

Worryingly I have both a blues harp frame (and I ain't no rock star) and a couple of collie whistles....

....now what's it worth to make the locals think I'm even more nuts than they do already?

I have thought I had tinitus since April but have just discovered it is the local beekeepers inspecting, tried it out this morning and yes "It Works"

:hurray:

Managed to get the bees out of the bush into that bait hive then?

You just have to WHISTLE 'em in!!!!!:);):rolleyes::);):rolleyes:

Worryingly I have both a blues harp frame (and I ain't no rock star) and a couple of collie whistles....

....now what's it worth to make the locals think I'm even more nuts than they do already?

Give it a go - you're all kitted out already! What have you got to loose?

...Apart from the respect of your peers and your freedom when the men in white coats (and I don't mean beeks) come to take you away hee hee :biggrinjester:

The video would surely be a big hit on YouTube! ;)

I have seen this done, but not in Europe, have some photos somewhere.

Back on topic ....
I failed miserably today. So many heavy supers and bees galore, I tried and tried to be gentle.
Squish, crunch ...
I guess some days are just better than others.

yes i agree, a good approach and saves Bees, if you have an assisitant is is easier but if on my own

i rest an edge of the super on the top of the brood, hold the super up 45 degree with one hand then taking the smoker with the other hand (smoker always between my knees) then low slowly to 4:00 and twist slowly to correct position

tell me you're kidding
The rest of the boxed set includes:-

"Whistle While You Work"

"Blowing in the Wind"

"The Train Now Leaving"

Back