Adding supers & frame configuration query ???

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shudderdun

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have three colonies each with 2 2 and 3 supers on, all are just about full and are a combination of sealed, semi sealed and unsealed.

I want to add a new super to each, coloney, I do have enough frames of fresh foundation to fill all three new supers, however I also have twelve frames of drawn comb.

Do you have any recommendations for frame configuration/layout across the three please.

Many Thanks.

I have three colonies each with 2 2 and 3 supers on, all are just about full and are a combination of sealed, semi sealed and unsealed.

I want to add a new super to each, coloney, I do have enough frames of fresh foundation to fill all three new supers, however I also have twelve frames of drawn comb.

Do you have any recommendations for frame configuration/layout across the three please.

Many Thanks.
Either one hive with drawn comb and the other two with foundation, or a mix with foundation in the middle and drawn at the outside. Whether you will get them all drawn and filled will depend on what is available near you after the blackberry finishes....

Put the foundation box between the broof box and filled supers. Then you get evenly thick combs. If mixed combs may become what ever.

Will do, thanks Finman.
I found a few more drawn frames than I thought I had, so each super now has three frames of foundation in the middle and the rest either side has drawn comb.
Going away for a week so hope this extra space will keep them busy !

Latest posts

Back