Adding Another Colony's Brood to a Weak Colony

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidharradine

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello

I've got a new but very strong colony in a national brood chamber in which I've managed to squeeze an extra frame. It keeps getting jammed so I want to take a frame out...

I have another colony which is pretty small and slowly building up with a scrub queen, in which there are some undrawn frames...

If I shake off all the adult bees, can I move a frame of capped brood from the good colony (to make some space) into the weak colony (to give it a top up)?

Will the brood be accepted or killed?

Thanks a lot

David

Brood will be accepted with no problems. But make sure there are no bees on the frame before you put it into the other hive.

It will be accepted but may not survive. Make sure it is not excessive so the bees can cover it, if it turns cold, and make sure it is emerging brood, so they don't have to give so much attention to it before emergence. Once emerged a bigger frame can be given as there will now be more house bees. Standard method to equalise colonies or boost a weak one but still needs consideration rather than doing it blindly.

If there is space for another frame, that space needs to be filled or the bees are likely to build wild comb.

RAB

Yes. (it does matter)

There is a serious risk here of over stressing an already pushed colony, the weak one.

What weak colonies need above all are bees.

If the strong one is getting away from you and the weak one is struggling and both are healthy there is an easy answer.

Switch the locations.

PH

Thanks everyone, especially Midland Beek - really generous use of your time to make the effort to make that comment.

Even the worst beekeeping book on the planet would have told you that.

Why is it necessary to make comments like that? If you've nothing useful or intelligent to say is it best to say nothing at all?

Thanks to all the useful comments on this thread. Every one I read makes me understand just that little bit more ... Hopefully!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back