Adding a supplement

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nannysbees

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
New to beekeeping this year. Have two hives and preparing for winter. We have started to feed with sugar water does anyone add a supplement to the sugar like "hive alive' or honey bee healthy? Any advice gratefully received

I have used Hive Alive and I have not lost a colony yet over winter. That may be totally unrelated but may not be.
The product was recommended by a bee farmer who I bought my first nuc from.

Conversely, I do not see the need to add anything and similarly, see no ill effects. I recently attended a lecture by the chap that runs 'The Apirarist' (his name eludes me at the moment) and he suggests just a block of regular bakers fondant.

I also use a few drops of thyme oil in every feed. Prevents mould as well.

Thymol / oil of thyme is extracted from common thyme and is found in plants belonging to the Lamiaceae family (Thymus, Ocimum, Origanum, and Monarda genera), and other plants such as those belonging to the Verbenaceae, Scrophulariaceae, Ranunculaceae, and Apiaceae families.
Read this paper.............

I also use a few drops of thyme oil in every feed. Prevents mould as well.
Does this float or does it spread through the syrup like the emulsified thymol I use. If it does then we’ll worth a look

I have used Hive Alive this year for the first time. I acquired a lot of free samples at the BeeTradex!! Like JBM I always referred to it a snake oil, however, I experimented with the feeding of 2 pairs of NUCs. A very unscientific experiment with subjective results! The Nucs with Hive alive added grew more rapidly and consumed more syrup. The Thymol stopped the growth of mould which saved me having to make up extra additive. I have added it to all my feeding solutions and all hives, with one exception, have consumed it and look healthy. Of course, the full impact will not be known until next Spring.

Thymol / oil of thyme is extracted from common thyme and is found in plants belonging to the Lamiaceae family (Thymus, Ocimum, Origanum, and Monarda genera), and other plants such as those belonging to the Verbenaceae, Scrophulariaceae, Ranunculaceae, and Apiaceae families.
Read this paper.............
Really good link murox thankyou.
Doesn't apilife, - var contain eucalyptus oil

After reading the replies here and having a read of the recipe thread, I think I will start adding a supplement of thymol in lecethin. I am guessing i will find these on ebay.

Every day is a school day.

Conversely, I do not see the need to add anything and similarly, see no ill effects. I recently attended a lecture by the chap that runs 'The Apirarist' (his name eludes me at the moment) and he suggests just a block of regular bakers fondant.

I agree that fondant is all that’s required. Hive Alive, snake oil, thymol and aftershave are adopting a belt and braces approach. Naturally, the additives are only any good for liquid feed, whereas The Apiarist, David Evans, uses fondant, partly because he doesn’t have very regular access to his colonies.
As I said, my results may not be attributed to the product, but might be.

I agree that fondant is all that’s required. Hive Alive, snake oil, thymol and aftershave are adopting a belt and braces approach. Naturally, the additives are only any good for liquid feed, whereas The Apiarist, David Evans, uses fondant, partly because he doesn’t have very regular access to his colonies.
As I said, my results may not be attributed to the product, but might be.

Thanks for naming the chap! You may well be right that his reasons for fondant only is access, it was a bit of an iffy zoom connection. My core reason for deciding to add something is that the other thread mentions it could help prevent/reduce nosema. So for a few quid spent on thymol and lecethin crystals it seems worth a try (no need for the alcohol either as later explained in the linked thread).

Latest posts

Back