Adding a super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

transporter

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all

I have a super full of honey from a hive that blew over and didn't survive. Just wander if I can put it on my other hive and when is the best time to put it on

thanks

has the super had thymol or (derititives ? Apivar etc) treatment?
some say this can taint honey....................... if extracting for eating

has the super had thymol or (derititives ? Apivar etc) treatment?
some say this can taint honey....................... if extracting for eating

Honey contaminated with thymol is not suitable for human consumption and Trading Standards would prosecute if they found it in their routine testing.
Transporter has the option of giving it back to the bees (as part of the brood assembly with Q/E over would be best) or extracting it if it isn't contaminated. If subsequently not required for brood, replace the foundation when that super is removed. Best time to give back to the bees is when the spring buildup is in full swing - say in 3- 4 weeks.

Honey contaminated with thymol is not suitable for human consumption and Trading Standards would prosecute if they found it in their routine testing.
Transporter has the option of giving it back to the bees (as part of the brood assembly with Q/E over would be best) or extracting it if it isn't contaminated. If subsequently not required for brood, replace the foundation when that super is removed. Best time to give back to the bees is when the spring buildup is in full swing - say in 3- 4 weeks.

Give it back to the bees because you SHOULD have treated with thymol, unless of course you took the super off to extract and didn't for some reason?:drool5:

I have one such super in my garage, brought back from my gonnaway bees some local little lasses found it this morning and were gayly robbing away... bless em!

Last edited:
it was treated with thymol before it blew over so I will give it back to the bees in a few weeks. Thanks for the replies

Back