Action Plan post swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have 2 colonies at the moment. 1 of which has swarmed both a prime and cast swarm (which i have captured and put in 2 separate hives)

My struggle now is I cannot find a new queen in the hive. There is 1 capped cell (centre frame) which the bees are attending too very well and a number of open cells.

I'm going to take down the open cells but feel I should leave the capped cell that the bees are tending.

I have been shown a technique to cage the capped cell until the virgin emerges to make sure I don't loose another swarm. But what is the best way to proceed at this point?

Cage the cell? Take the cell down?

If i cage the cell what do i do when the virgin emerges?

I had a double pass through the brood boxes earlier and cannot see any sign of a queen so I'm unsure what's the best action plan.

Any advice appreciated.

Open it and let the virgin go
It’s likely there are more virgins in there. The more there are out at the same time the more likely the bees will sort things out themselves.

I doubt there is a queen in there - she will be with the cast swarm, if you don't reduce the cells down to one, they will cast again, I bet that by tomorrow the queen in the sealed cell will have emerged. You need to
reduce to one QC
leave alone for a few weeks for the virgin to mate.

Latest posts

Back