Acetic Acid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mabearch

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just lost a colony to Nosema (Identified by microscopy) and have been told how to sterilise the frames and brood chamber with 80% acetic acid treatment (lots of stores still present). Only problem is where can you get a small quantity of this (150ml) as the bee suppliers only sell in 2.5 litre packs? Calls to local chemists have drawn a blank.

make contact with your local association, someone is sure to have some.
Where in the UK are you? I have some on my shelf ...

E bay..........5 litres £22,or will sell in smaller quantitys like 1 litre,call Hugh,very helpful guy,07778146165.

Yes thats them plumber,as you say,top firm.

Great link,thank you.

p.s just worked out why they are so popular,is it something to do with chip fat?

yep curently £0.20 litre converted to Biodiesel.

OK, 150 ml will get you out of trouble this time. But you need to continually strerilise when frames are removed from a colony. So you will need more eventually. Especially, as you only had the one colony and will surely realise the benefits of having at least two for easier beekeping.

One 'problem' is that the 5 l for 22 quid (plus delivery) is actually 6 l as 80% concentration is used for sterilisation and the acid supplied is glacial - near 100%.

The offshoot of that is that it will go solid at around 17 degrees, unless diluted. You could waste quite a bit and still be ahead of the game with regards bee keeper suppliers - one charges near 40 quid, for less than half as much, and you have to collect.

Standard method of dilution of concentrated acids is always pour acid into water. Standard safety measures are needed also.

80% is much safer than glacial - still nasty, but safer.

As posted previously, give a location; doesn't need to be a post code. Someone might help you out.

Regards, RAB

Latest posts

Back