Acetic acid damage mesh floors?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezd

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
Silly question maybe, anyone know if acetic acid will damage open mesh floors? ie metal mesh

Cheers

Jez

Silly question maybe, anyone know if acetic acid will damage open mesh floors? ie metal mesh

Cheers

Jez

I asked my mentor this last year he said if its the plastic coated mesh then yes if its just metal then it should be fine.

If in doubt remove the mesh floor.

I asked my mentor this last year he said if its the plastic coated mesh then yes if its just metal then it should be fine.

If in doubt remove the mesh floor.

I wonder how/when your open mesh floors will come in contact with either acid or acidic fumes?
Surely the only use for acetic acid is for fumigation ! . The boxes should be stacked in a bin liner , a flat dish of acid placed on top of frames of top box, then the bag sealed , as the fumes are heavier than air, the fumes will precipitate down through the boxes .
After a period of time, the boxes need ventilating before being put to use !
There is no need for the open mesh floors to be used during this operation !

John Wilkison

Hi John, good to see you are think this through.

You are correct but in this case its for Nuc boxes that have built in OMF of metal material, they cant be taken off really (fixed). They can be stacked and I was hoping to do this soon but the worry is the acid will eat the mesh.

Ta

jez

I wonder how/when your open mesh floors will come in contact with either acid or acidic fumes?
Surely the only use for acetic acid is for fumigation ! . The boxes should be stacked in a bin liner , a flat dish of acid placed on top of frames of top box, then the bag sealed , as the fumes are heavier than air, the fumes will precipitate down through the boxes .
After a period of time, the boxes need ventilating before being put to use !
There is no need for the open mesh floors to be used during this operation !

John Wilkison

Never used the stuff myself
I blow torch the chambers and replace the frames for new every 2 years.

Never used the stuff myself
I blow torch the chambers and replace the frames for new every 2 years.

I've never met a plutocratic beekeeper before :smilielol5:.
Exchanging frames wont save spare equipment from the ravages of the wax box :smash:
Jez,
Stainless steel apart ,all common metals will be damaged to some degree by acetic acid !
You could however , coat the vents in your nuc boxes with grease !
After fumigation you could then wash off the grease and simply flame the mesh !
Is there a reason why couldn't put your frames into standard boxes for fumigation only to be returned to flamed nucs as required ?

John Wilkinson

I've never met a plutocratic beekeeper before :smilielol5:.
Exchanging frames wont save spare equipment from the ravages of the wax box :smash:
John Wilkinson

Plutocratic maybe !

Good IPM and hygienic definitely
bee-smillie

John, I wanted to treat the Nuc boxes too but maybe I am going over the top on this one.

Jez

Latest posts

Back