Ace inhibitors

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Just been advised by doc to take Lisinopril for my blood pressure, caused by work stress and being slightly overweight.
I have read the leaflet and it mentions that you shouldn't take the medication if you are undergoing wasp or bee desensitization. Had a quick Google and see that ACE inhibitors can cause problems when stung. Before I go back to docs and ask for something different does anyone have any experience of this?
Thanks in advance
S

PS I am trying to get weight down but cant apart from going on dole or shooting all developers do much about stressful job, bees were supposed to and do help !

Sorry mate I know nothing of medical pills, Loosing weight is not easy but joining a weight loss club give you more of an intensive, stress levels was told to me as miss management of time which I do until the unexpected happens and time flies out of the window

Have been taking Ace inhibitors for about 8 years & have been stung a few times without any significant problems. Don't think the drugs make any difference.

Sorry mate I know nothing of medical pills, Loosing weight is not easy but joining a weight loss club give you more of an intensive, stress levels was told to me as miss management of time which I do until the unexpected happens and time flies out of the window

think the increase reaction from most ACE inhibitors is little different from the raised reaction from taking ibuprofen, never had too much of a problem with the various tabs of them i have been on

Last edited:
I sometimes get the 'ramipril cough' when I get stung. Usually lasts about half an hour or so when it occurs.

RAB

I am on ace inhibitors 10 mg.
Even though I kept bees for years, I always swelled up like Michelin man.
I had a heart attack some 6/7years ago and have been prescribed medication galore!
Since then the strong local reactions have ceased completely!
Drstitson is of the opinion that the ace inhibitor being an anti-inflamitary. Is the reason for the miracle cure.
I think that the advice about desensitisation therapy and Lisinopril could be that it would interfere(mask) the effects of the venom injections and falsely indicate that the therapy was a greater success than in reality and could trip up one should the Lisinopril be stopped for some reason?
VM

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just been advised by doc to take Lisinopril for my blood pressure, caused by work stress and being slightly overweight.
I have read the leaflet and it mentions that you shouldn't take the medication if you are undergoing wasp or bee desensitization. Had a quick Google and see that ACE inhibitors can cause problems when stung. Before I go back to docs and ask for something different does anyone have any experience of this?
Thanks in advance
S

PS I am trying to get weight down but cant apart from going on dole or shooting all developers do much about stressful job, bees were supposed to and do help !

I take Olmesartan for my blood pressure - been taking it for nearly 7 years - no side effects whatsoever and it maintains my blood pressure at near normal on 10mg daily. It's expensive and doctors are sometimes reluctant to prescribe it so might be worth asking ?

I also make hawthorn syrup and take this for my blood pressure as well and I think it helps - it's a natural diuretic and heart tonic, just a spoonful a day makes all the difference. You can make it from dried hawthorn berries (from ebay), there are lots of on line recipes and it's dead easy to make and keeps for ages. Once the fresh haws are around on the hedgerows you can use them for free. You can also mix in rosehips to get a belt of Vitamin C to keep the colds away and add that lovely taste of Rose Hip Syrup (remember that you Baby Boomers ?)

Losing weight - I constantly battle with my weight (I eat too much !) and I find that one of the online calorie counters are good as motivation - I use a free one - look up myfitnesspal on the web. It has nearly every food known to man listed and it's easy to get a daily 'in and out' calorie count. Takes a few minutes to set up and as you use it it builds up a list of those foods you eat regularly so it's dead easy to enter what you eat as you go. I've got it as an app on my iphone as well.

The only real way to lose weight is to consume less calories than you expend on a daily basis and myfitnesspal - apart from a bit of 'weighing food' initially to get some idea of what you are consuming the programme - takes the effort out of adding up your daily calorie intake. It will also take in information from a variety of 'exercise and step counters' and add that into the equation.

Best of luck with it all ... I'm sure the bees help as well !

Did they suggest exercise as a way of lowering BP or removing the stress?

I was on ACE inhibitors for some years and had no problems getting stung - it happened all the time! However, after a while the tablets were becoming less effective in blood pressure terms so after a tip-off from a relation who had had the same issue I pursuaded the Doc to put me one calcium channel blockers which were immedeately much more effective. Apparently, ACE Inhibitors can work less effectively as you get older but they are frequently the automatic first prescription doctors use to control blood pressure. So it really depends on your age - if under say 50 then go with the ACE but watch for side effects of course but if your blood pressure starts to creep back up then remember there are alternative treatments.

Blood pressure can be an inherited thing as it is in my case - I am not over weight and regularly take exercise - will be doing a 1200 km bike ride up through France in June but of course there can be environmental factors such as work stress and being over-weight which are worth trying to tackle. Being overwieght can all too easily lead to diabetes which is something you most certainly do not want if you have high blood pressure.

I can recommend the "Fast Diet" - eating very little for 2 different days of the week. I shed several pounds at the end of last year with no trouble or pain. The book was being discounted by T**co at £2.00 a copy recently.

I can recommend the bee farmer diet.
My summer weight is consistently about a stone less than my winter weight, even though I probably eat loads more in the summer. It's part of the reason I changed career - I figured I wasn't getting any healthier sitting behind a desk.

Remember that drug companies will always state the maximum possible range of posible side effects to avoid legal action. Just read the leaflet in a packet of paracetamol if you want to scare yourself silly.

Thanks in advance
S

I take the disgusting Ramipril and didn't have a reation when I was stung! losing weight - put dinners on a smaller plate but eat your normal stuff I've lost a stone that way.

ramipril

I sometimes get the 'ramipril cough' when I get stung. Usually lasts about half an hour or so when it occurs.

RAB

Hi oliver 90 owner,I take ramipril capsules,have done for a number of years,had no ill effect on me,but would be interested to know what is the ramipril cough? Thanks

Went to Docs yesterday to discuss taking the tablets. It would appear that the caution is significant for people who have a really bad reaction to stings, hence the need for treatment. The doc said that as I only get a relatively mild reaction to stings I should be okay, also taking the tablet at this time of year should show any reaction to the tablet before the bee season really starts. All good and sensible advice I think.

Many thanks for all the helpful advice on diets and reducing stress, some of which I will try and use.
The bee farmers diet sounds best. I was working this week on a really isolated spot with no varroa and would be ideal to set-up a breeding station, if only I had sufficient funds to walk away from work and set it up. Dream on :serenade:
S

Hi oliver 90 owner,I take ramipril capsules,have done for a number of years,had no ill effect on me,but would be interested to know what is the ramipril cough? Thanks

A dry cough is fairly rare side effect of ACE inhibitors, of which Ramipril is one.
May take a few weeks to settle after stopping medication (usually swapping to a different type of tablet).

Did they suggest exercise as a way of lowering BP or removing the stress?

No, of course not - Big Pharma doesn't make any money out of you exercising, it can make a lot from selling pills. I was on meds for BP for several years before I sussed that a brisk walk of several miles twice a week brought my BP right down - came off meds with GPs reluctant blessing and have been fine ever since, a couple of years now, and it has stayed down with just a bit of exercise.
Asked why I wasn't told about exercise - the answer was that patients don't take the meds and intend to exercise but never do it and BP remains untreated.

I posed the question about ACE inhibitors and bee stings to my Doctor when I was last in for a check-up. She didn't know the answer but bless her socks said she would try and find out, which she did. The hospital pharmacist sent me the attached.
S

I've been on 3 different pills for BP for the last 20yrs and have no effects from stings. Recently I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and luckily the local GP practices have an agreement with 2 local sports centres where with a GP reference you get a 50% discount on personal trainer sessions. It doesn't cost the GP or the NHS anything, it just gets new clients for the centres.

I would enquire in your area if anything similar is available. Getting fitter should help with both the BP and weight issues. After going for 2 half hour sessions ( + 15min. warm up and cool down at each end) a week over the last 8 weeks I feel a lot fitter, in fact we took the dogs onto the moor yesterday for a 9 mile walk.

Latest posts

Back