Accepting credit / debit card payments for Honey.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bought a zettle 2 even managed to set it up!!

Easy to use

Unfortunately show today no phone signal..... Anguished criesfrom many of the traders

Easy to use

Unfortunately show today no phone signal..... Anguished criesfrom many of the traders
That's really annoying ... none of the card readers will work without a phone signal ... you would think the organisers would know these days ...

none of the card readers will work without a phone signal ... you would think the organisers would know these days
doesn't seem to have sunk in with some, even after 'improvements' at Harper Adams traders struggle during the spring convention, the lads at Maisie's often had to go out of the fire escape and wave the card reader over their head to complete a transaction.

In fairness cell coverage is not really in their control but a heads up would be good!

Is it also not possible to set up a temporary wifi system for specific event?

Easy to use

If at home you can hook up to your home network (Wi-Fi calling), your phone connects to the network through your broadband connection if you’re in range of your router - so why not at a big event/venue?

All very well until they decide to hold your money back, based on a third party telling PP that you have not pleased them in some way!
you will find this can happen with any of those like Sumup, Stripe etc and this includes Paypal, they are what are called aggregated payment providers, this means you are not the merchant they are, and any negative feedback means the merchant status could be affected especially charge backs, which they do not like.

you will find this can happen with any of those like Sumup, Stripe etc and this includes Paypal, they are what are called aggregated payment providers, this means you are not the merchant they are, and any negative feedback means the merchant status could be affected especially charge backs, which they do not like.
PayPal did that to my partners training company on the basis that there may be complaints, there never was!! The feckers..she now uses square and also for a busy café.

@pargyle would the reader be ok outside (under cover) in an honesty box? Or is it strictly for person to person exchanges?

I concur paypal are a bunch of gits. I've heard of numerous people having accounts closed and no access to funds for 180 days.

@pargyle would the reader be ok outside (under cover) in an honesty box? Or is it strictly for person to person exchanges?

I concur paypal are a bunch of gits. I've heard of numerous people having accounts closed and no access to funds for 180 days.
It will depend which reader you get. The cheaper ones are just a card reader and need a phone or tablet to input the costs, the more expensive ones are standalone units. Coupled with a cheap tablet you could leave one out under cover if you can keep both charged and the public can work out what to do.

It will depend which reader you get. The cheaper ones are just a card reader and need a phone or tablet to input the costs, the more expensive ones are standalone units. Coupled with a cheap tablet you could leave one out under cover if you can keep both charged and the public can work out what to do.
Thanks!

Be careful you are going to the area of unattended devices and that is an entirely different ball game. At work I am currently work on swapping our acquirer and 1500+ devices, all this has to be completed by end of Q1 next year. At the same time watching PCI compliance.

It needs you to enter the amount to be paid into your mobile phone which then connects to the zettle for contactless or pin card payment ... I'm not sure how that would work with an honesty box ...=

Although zettle is owned by paypal it is at arms length and everyone I've come across that use them has only good things to say about zettle.

A basic question if I can, is it possible to use these units with more than one phone?

In other words, if I am out, can my wife use her phone with the same card unit to take money?

Just trying to work out if these could work for the small number of people who buy from our door.

David

A basic question if I can, is it possible to use these units with more than one phone?

In other words, if I am out, can my wife use her phone with the same card unit to take money?

Just trying to work out if these could work for the small number of people who buy from our door.

David
I think they're meant to link to a single device. If I was in your situation, a cheap tablet to keep at home, paired to the card reader, may be the solution.

David
They can work with multiple phones, however, what is called SoftPos - google it, or Pin on Glass is coming. This will do away with the separate unit. Expect most to launch late this year early next. With that you can have a single account anyone can log in and thus accept payments.

David
we had a unit and could use all our phones, 3 phones, to accept payments

Latest posts

Back