Absent queen from prime swarm

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeforest

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 nationals 2 warres and a few nucs
I hived a prime swarm containing a marked queen exactly a month ago. As she was marked I saw her enter the warre hive having run them in.

This hive just hasn't built as quickly as I thought it would - little entrance activity and hardly any pollen going in. Today I decided to inspect, they were passive and easy to work. I was surprised to see neither queen, eggs or brood. There was a small amount of comb about one third of a full box but as I had not fed them much I wasn't too surprised by this. Though I think I should have fed them more!

My thoughts are to leave them a while longer to see if I did miss the queen during the inspection, though I know their numbers will be dwindling fast now if she really has gone. In the meantime i will move another warre hive closer each couple of days so I can unite the two colonies in a few weeks time if I see no improvement.

Does any have any reasons as to why this queen is not laying or why she seems to be absent?
I think I'm following a reasonable course of action but does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:
Was thinking that as a possibility but didn't see any supercedure cells and there was only a small amount of comb to go through.
If they were queenless I would have expected them to be a little more feisty. Handled them without gloves without any issue.
Thanks for your reply.

Virgin left with the swarm and original queen.

It looks to me as if the comb has not had any brood in it at all. So doubt if a virgin queen was raised and then the hive swarmed within a month of settling within their new home. ( if that's what you mean)
I do think that uniting is going to be my best option

could you get a test frame from your other warre hive to better figure out whats going on in there.

Where did the queen come from?
It could be a supercedure in the original hive as the queen was failing - that went wrong and they swarmed anyway.

Hardly any comb. Is there any food in the comb?

So a marked queen has been in the hive a month and there are no eggs. Is it wise to leave them for any longer? There's something wrong.

Where did the queen come from?
It could be a supercedure in the original hive as the queen was failing - that went wrong and they swarmed anyway.

Hardly any comb. Is there any food in the comb?

So a marked queen has been in the hive a month and there are no eggs. Is it wise to leave them for any longer? There's something wrong.

The queen was marked white and last years and came from a friends hive on my apiary. The swarm was a large prime and I guessed was ideal for a warre which I am using for the first time this year to supplement my nationals.
There is a little honey and pollen in the comb but nothing to talk about. I have another warre with a cast swarm housed within which I will probably unite but so far this queen has yet to lay. I think this will be my best option but wanted to ensure that the queen in the first hive had really failed before I conduct the unite. Do you think I am being over patient?

Checking for eggs? Inspections? test frames? I thought you said it was a Warre hive. I think I have missed something here but I shall stay quiet.

With the fun weather we've had I won't be surprised if when they swarmed you collected a prime swarm along with a cast swarm which merged into a single cluster. The original queen was then dispatched by the virgin and hence the problems you have now.

Weekly inspections imho are vital to monitor the colony for a range of different issues. Although I gather most warre hive owners feel differently about this but it would of given you the answer to the mystery.
;)
Fingers crossed you now have a mated queen and she will start laying soon.

Checking for eggs? Inspections? test frames? I thought you said it was a Warre hive. I think I have missed something here but I shall stay quiet.
I have removeable top bars in the warres to make it easier for the bee inspector. Had a visit last year. I intended not to use them for my own inspection regime but observations outside the hive led me to that conclusion, I was right in this instance - something was untoward!

With the fun weather we've had I won't be surprised if when they swarmed you collected a prime swarm along with a cast swarm which merged into a single cluster. The original queen was then dispatched by the virgin and hence the problems you have now.

Weekly inspections imho are vital to monitor the colony for a range of different issues. Although I gather most warre hive owners feel differently about this but it would of given you the answer to the mystery.
;)
Fingers crossed you now have a mated queen and she will start laying soon.

Thanks for that. Your thinking seems highly sensible. I will wait a while longer before uniting. Very glad I have moveable top bars to undertake the inspections!

It looks to me as if the comb has not had any brood in it at all. So doubt if a virgin queen was raised and then the hive swarmed within a month of settling within their new home. ( if that's what you mean)
I do think that uniting is going to be my best option

No I was thinking the swarm had the original queen and a virgin.

The two fought it out and the virgin is still in the hive and needs a bit of time to get going.

No I was thinking the swarm had the original queen and a virgin.

The two fought it out and the virgin is still in the hive and needs a bit of time to get going.

Oh, so same as Mike A. Thanks for the clarity. It looks like I will be leaving it a bit longer then before thinking of uniting. Hoping the Ex virgin queen is primed and ready to fire! Will take a very careful look at next inspection to see her or at least the fruits of her labours!

Take it is it uncommon occurence for a virgin queen to leave with the mated queen? Would it have been due to unfavourable weather conditions at the time when the queen cell was sealed?

Sorry Tom I missed your post for some reason.

imho good call

not worthy

Ok, enough of the mutual admiration you two!! :conehead::conehead:
Many thanks not worthy

Latest posts

Back