Absence during swarming season

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macow

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Ahh!
Hi Everyone,
Unfortunately I have to go away for 7 days sometime around May/June (not optional), obviously not the best time to be absent.
A thought that I had, as a somewhat belt and braces approach. Was what if I placed a Q/excluder under the brood box for this amount of time as a method of ensuring that the queen didn’t leave should a swarm occur? Obviously I can foresee a potential issue with drones but will this affect them for this short amount of time? Has anyone else tried this if so what was the outcome.
I know that 7 days should be ok if you inspect thoroughly etc.. but i have one colony that appears to be particularly cunning at hiding q/cells ie: tucked away on the floor of the hive.
I ask as last year one of my hives did swarm at this time. Very frustrating to get a phone call and not be able to do anything about it.
Bracing myself for the avalanche...

Marc

7 days, should not be a problem. check last thing before you go.
as an extra, i would put an empty super above the crown board incase a good flow starts, this will allow the bees to go up through the hole giving extra space to stop swarming due to over crowding..

dean

ive got a same problem, my father has booked my and my kids on a 2 WEEK holiday in june. im not sure what to do?? i may try the QX and inspect on the last day before the flight, i will be looking at doing a art swarm and putting a super on each hive. and hope for the best :(

Before leaving you may make a false swarm. It takes swarming instinct away, and then for yield, joint parts to get the hive into balance.

I have been in trouble for swarming two seasons. Now I going to make pre false swarms to biggest hives. We have a blooming break after dandelion blooming and when bees have not work to do, it starts swarming. It is quite regular happening.

Last edited:
Thanks Finman/Thurrock,
I think that your right, if in doubt I will probably do an AS on the largest colonies, bung an extra super on the others and hope for the best.

All the Best

Marc

Latest posts

Back