macow 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Ahh!
Hi Everyone,
Unfortunately I have to go away for 7 days sometime around May/June (not optional), obviously not the best time to be absent.
A thought that I had, as a somewhat belt and braces approach. Was what if I placed a Q/excluder under the brood box for this amount of time as a method of ensuring that the queen didn’t leave should a swarm occur? Obviously I can foresee a potential issue with drones but will this affect them for this short amount of time? Has anyone else tried this if so what was the outcome.
I know that 7 days should be ok if you inspect thoroughly etc.. but i have one colony that appears to be particularly cunning at hiding q/cells ie: tucked away on the floor of the hive.
I ask as last year one of my hives did swarm at this time. Very frustrating to get a phone call and not be able to do anything about it.
Bracing myself for the avalanche...

Marc

daytonadean 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
7 days, should not be a problem. check last thing before you go.
as an extra, i would put an empty super above the crown board incase a good flow starts, this will allow the bees to go up through the hole giving extra space to stop swarming due to over crowding..

dean

Reaction score
Hive Type
none
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
If the queen is clipped then you will be quite safe over 7 days but by all means try the QX as you describe.

thurrock bees 

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
ive got a same problem, my father has booked my and my kids on a 2 WEEK holiday in june. im not sure what to do?? i may try the QX and inspect on the last day before the flight, i will be looking at doing a art swarm and putting a super on each hive. and hope for the best :(

Finman 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Before leaving you may make a false swarm. It takes swarming instinct away, and then for yield, joint parts to get the hive into balance.

I have been in trouble for swarming two seasons. Now I going to make pre false swarms to biggest hives. We have a blooming break after dandelion blooming and when bees have not work to do, it starts swarming. It is quite regular happening.

Last edited:

macow 

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Ahh!
Thanks Finman/Thurrock,
I think that your right, if in doubt I will probably do an AS on the largest colonies, bung an extra super on the others and hope for the best.

All the Best

Marc

Latest posts