Aborted unite.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
I had to go to an out apiary tonight to unite a colony with a very strong queen with a slow colony.
I arrived and removed the resident queen to a cage and set about getting things ready for the unite only to find I hadn't put newspaper into the van... doh!
So I put the hive back together and set off home only to find when I get there I still have the queen in my pocket! I tucked the queen into a queenless nuc and will go back first thing in the morning to carry out the unite but.....how will the now queenless hive react now its putting up emergency cells.
Will it knock the new queen spells down or will it kill the introduced queen?
Should I wait to 4 days and remove all the emergency cells or if I do the unite 12 hours after removing the queen will it be ok?

I will leave others to answer your question. But put a can of air freshener in your kit. That would have solved the problem!
E

I will leave others to answer your question. But put a can of air freshener in your kit. That would have solved the problem!
E

I've used air freshener before but guess where that was?

I sat on the loo yesterday and looked down to see a bee on the inside of my thigh, God only knows how long it had been in my trousers.

Was it still alive?
I often have dead ones in my clothing. They get in and I have to kill them before they sting me...... I caught one at the top of my thigh yesterday!

The bee was definitely still alive!

I sat on the loo yesterday and looked down to see a bee on the inside of my thigh, God only knows how long it had been in my trousers.

Look at p.35, Beecraft, July 2020, "Bare-handed beekeeping". The young lady, presumably the author, is leaning over the open hive wielding her hive tool. She is wearing shorts..........

Latest posts

Back