Abelo Poly Langstroth hive - observations

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murox

Queen Bee
Reaction score
I wonder if anyone has practical experience with Abelo's poly langstroth hive ? I notice they have "embossed the top and bottom with rigid plastic" and " the boxes holds 9 frames." How do those plastic trims hold up ? Are they compatible with other langstroth hives ? Anyone ?

Yes. I like Abelo Nationals - but I’d avoid their Langstroths. Try Honey Paw Langstroths instead. They look good (but I’ve not used them).

just posted on abelo nationals in beginners regarding water collecting in the channels....minor adjustment needed to rectify. other than that, very happy with the nationals

I wonder if anyone has practical experience with Abelo's poly langstroth hive ? I notice they have "embossed the top and bottom with rigid plastic" and " the boxes holds 9 frames." How do those plastic trims hold up ? Are they compatible with other langstroth hives ? Anyone ?

They are much narrower than every other Langstroth box, so that their outside walls barely cover the void in other makes boxes. Not compatible with anything else sold in the UK.

Yes. I like Abelo Nationals - but I’d avoid their Langstroths. Try Honey Paw Langstroths instead. They look good (but I’ve not used them).
Yes thanks, I have also been looking at Honey paw langs. The Norfolk honey company - S. Spinks - has a series of videos about them. I thought they looked ok too.

Try Honey Paw Langstroths instead.
We bought one to trial and found them to be well designed and well made. The nucs are useful: two bodies fit together on a brood box for populating. Paul Beardmore at Modern Beekeeping stocks HP and is very helpful.

We bought one to trial and found them to be well designed and well made. The nucs are useful: two bodies fit together on a brood box for populating. Paul Beardmore at Modern Beekeeping stocks HP and is very helpful.
Do you continue to use it? I was quite taken with what I have seen on videos. Do you have a preference of the floor type?

Do you continue to use it? I was quite taken with what I have seen on videos. Do you have a preference of the floor type?
No, but not because it wasn't good, because it is. I liked the lack of box lips and the hand-holds are designed intelligently.

At the honey company I work for we considered converting to Lang, but were too far down the National road to justify the expense.

We bought both floors and the basic mesh one looked enough. I've still got the fancy one in the cellar.

No, but not because it wasn't good, because it is. I liked the lack of box lips and the hand-holds are designed intelligently.

At the honey company I work for we considered converting to Lang, but were too far down the National road to justify the expense.

We bought both floors and the basic mesh one looked enough. I've still got the fancy one in the cellar.
Ok thank you for that(y)

Latest posts

Back