Abelo poly hive, old style v new.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The deep roof from the original will give the ledge some protection. but I'll stick with the original design in its entirety, or at least, with all but the crown board.

The deep roof from the original will give the ledge some protection. but I'll stick with the original design in its entirety, or at least, with all but the crown board.

With the old style roof and crownboard, how much space is there between the crownboard and roof for fondant?

Does the roof have some kind of lip so that it sits up proud of the crownboard, with space always there?

Thanks

Bought an old version yesterday, unpainted, complete with frames and foundation from NBS,

If the ledge is plastic...does it matter?
Well if water sits on the lip it’ll run into the hive for sure, the additional use of wood probably more likely only during the summer so maybe not the biggest issue.

Well if water sits on the lip it’ll run into the hive for sure, the additional use of wood probably more likely only during the summer so maybe not the biggest issue.

I must have misunderstood the design then. I though the water would be on a plastic ledge, and to get into the hive it would have to go up and over the lip, which water doesn't tend to do.

I must have misunderstood the design then. I though the water would be on a plastic ledge, and to get into the hive it would have to go up and over the lip, which water doesn't tend to do.
Ok not sure, what I’m seeing is the wooden box and I’m guessing the black is the frame riser? That sits on the over size poly. Can any shed some light. Ian

Ok not sure, what I’m seeing is the wooden box and I’m guessing the black is the frame riser? That sits on the over size poly. Can any shed some light. Ian

No, the black is all the lip of the hive body. It's a rebate system a bit like Paradise Honey boxes.

Pnkemp is correct about the water ingress issue. Though would be interesting to see how it fares in reality.

As someone has already said, if you have wooden boxes that you want to use, best to just buy the old style Abelos. Which would also avoid the bee space clashing.

Ok I’m wrong I’ve just looked at clear pictures on the web site. Black up stand is part of the box. Personally I’ll say now I think they’ve f£(&@? Up. They’ve made an upstand to stop to water ingress in the previous model, it now means you can’t slide a hive tool in to part the frames/boxes . I have bs poly boxes with a similar upstand. I spent the weekend fishing in those to remove the feeders stuck to the frames and that’s only 6 frames. It’s over engineered!!! Time will tell. Ian

Last edited:
I have toyed with the Paradise National - sold. Toyed with Paynes - sold. I was half wondering whether to get the odd Abelo National.
Ply delaminates and pine needs constant attention so I think I'll leave it for now and stick with cedar.

I like poly hives and brought some off Murray back in early 2000s I still have them although admittedly the first part I chucked out was the floors and just used wooden. Bs poly Nucs in those days didn’t exist so converted some swienty langstroths. My problem is the price and over the years found the moneys better spent on the Nucs in terms of bang for buck. For me they need to be compatible the ability to Chuck on wooden supers when needed is a massive plus.
I’ve got a couple of those Denrosa ones - they are good - I kept the floors but they are nicely interchangeable with national kit but only 10 Frame from memory in the chamber

kr

S

I’ve got a couple of those Denrosa ones - they are good - I kept the floors but they are nicely interchangeable with national kit but only 10 Frame from memory in the chamber

kr

S
Yes just ten frame although I have managed to squeeze 11 of seconds smaller top bar in but it’s a pain.

I've been toying with the idea of the maisemore poly hive. What is putting me off is that they only do national supers and as I run commercial kit I didn't want two types of frame making things awkward.
I've seen that they claim you can use wooden kit with them but others say that the fact that the poly dimensions are bigger will leave a ledge that lets water in?

Has anyone run wooden kit on maisemore poly hives?

wooden kit on maisemore poly hives? Done that, although is it worth the bother apart from cutting down a wooden super to make an eke? Woodn roofs obviously won't fit. Maisemore supers are cheap, but you may need to put in runners as the poly ridge inside is easily damaged. Didn't notice any problems with rain, but the boxes do tend to stick together. Do not try putting vaseline in between because when it comes to inspections the whole pile slide in different ways; lots of fun.

Latest posts

Back