Abelo poly hive, old style v new.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thorn

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
It varies.
If there's anyone with experience of both the old and the new Abelo poly hives, could you let us have the pros and cons of each. I'm going to need a few new hives before next season, and I'm unsure which to go for.

Old versus new............the new 1 leaks😂

Go for the old style with the deep roof.

The only two benefits of the new "shallow" hives is the crown board has been redesigned so now has fewer holes with the option to purchase a small Ashforth feeder that sits nicely within it and the floor has a better tray. I do like prefer the smaller landing board of the newer hive but some may prefer the older floor for the same reason. They've added silly things like roof ventilation holes to the roof as well and the biggest problem is the amount of water it lets in.

If they could redesign the old crown board so that it was compatible with the new feeder and had less ventilation holes you would be onto a sure winner.

Go for the old style with the deep roof.

The only two benefits of the new "shallow" hives is the crown board has been redesigned so now has fewer holes with the option to purchase a small Ashforth feeder that sits nicely within it and the floor has a better tray. I do like prefer the smaller landing board of the newer hive but some may prefer the older floor for the same reason. They've added silly things like roof ventilation holes to the roof as well and the biggest problem is the amount of water it lets in.

If they could redesign the old crown board so that it was compatible with the new feeder and had less ventilation holes you would be onto a sure winner.
You do wonder who advises them about including these 'new improvements' that appear not to be improvements at all ? From the sounds of it you are lucky that they haven't included slots for matchsticks to keep the roof open as well ...

You do wonder who advises them about these 'new improvements' that appear not to be improvements at al ?
Didn't an ex member of this forum (he who must not be named) boast of being involved in the redesign?

I think that the new hives have been designed to make transportation easier. The lack of a roof overhang and a minimal landing-board apparently make them easier to stack together on a trailer or pickup; not an advantage that most of us will make use of. But the hive will also be more stable when strapped-up, something which appears to be essential because polyhives are so lightweight.

The multiplicity of venting options may be useful in preventing overheating of the bees being transported or if the bees need to be confined in the hive during manipulations. I don't see these as a problem as an optional plug is provided with each box and roof.

In my experience, the new roof doesn't let in water. The design of the old one emulates the more traditional style in wood, where the material requires that an overhang is necessary to provide a means to secure the roof. When using modern materials and manufacturing techniques Abelo have been able to use engineering solution to locating the lid.

Abelo do admit that water ingress is possible at the joint where boxes are stacked, but this is an issue which also affects older-style boxes which do not have the cutout at the end of the runners, (a modification which is easily achieved if thought necessary). But the new roof itself connects with the new crownboard which has a special, ridged joint design and is not the problem area:

"Sometimes there is water ingress in the runners of the boxes, because the two plastic surfaces are not watertight and plastic cannot absorb water like wood " (Abelo)

Boxes: new design has useful handholds on four sides; old box has them on two sides, which still irritates. Old green colour awful, new green excellent.
Roofs: new design has a lip which locks with the crownboard, obliging you to buy both. Compatible feeder too small for out-apiary feeding. New roof is probably incompatible when used directly onto boxes. Roof vent plugs are unnecessary and a hangover from Polish Lyson design practice. Unconvinced by this new design.
Crownboard: used the old five-hole and thought it expensive, with superfluous options and discs which got lost or fell off. New one has a single feed hole and still expensive; I use neither*.

* Instead, I use the Abelo Ashforth feeder for four jobs:
1 Crownboard
2 Syrup feeder
3 Fondant feeder - put the fondant on top bars and turn the box over.
4 Split board: take out the top box wall plug to provide an entrance. A sheet of thick plastic (plenty kept) acts as a new crownboard for the top box.

i only have new and have bought more new....was tempted to buy old as ive had quite a lot of water but am intending to cut the notch out at each end and leave as is...so...bought new and still happy overall

I got a delivery of abelo brood boxes it's my first time buying there national poly . Why do the brood boxes have a hole on 2 sides ?

No stoppers came with them , I cant see the need for extra entrances on brood boxes

I'm no expert and haven't needed to use the holes as entrances or for ventilation; if I used the latter I would be laughed out of town anyway. But I assume that if left unblocked, the holes might give the potential for doing splits or other manipulations within a hive.

...I assume that if left unblocked, the holes might give the potential for doing splits or other manipulations within a hive.

"The supers have 1 entrance hole in the middle of the front face of the box, to give flying bees quicker access to the honey supers and the brood has 1 entrance in the middle of the front face, allowing you to perform advanced manipulations to the brood for increase or swarm control"

as..........https://www.abelo.co.uk/shop/national-hive/national-poly-hive/national-poly-brood-box-green/

If anyone finds that goes against their kind of beekeeping then don't buy them, please take issue with Abelo; I'm not here to fight their corner. ;)

Latest posts

Back