Abelo metal adjustable stand

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i’ve just ordered some scaffolding legs with plans to drill holes into beam ends (which I have left over from garden renovation job). i’ve got fairly uneven ground at my out apiary so this should even the stands quite easily. Hoping it works, anyway scaffolding legs x4 cost about £30

Reactions: mbc
Thanks Enrico. Not sure that I understand that - but I've just sipped a little Pinot Grigio. I'll attempt to apply brain tomorrow.....:giggle::giggle::giggle:
If you look at the image below, you will see that the legs go right to the top of the square. Weight of hive will be on these legs.
If the legs were a little lower than the height of the square, the weight would be on the square, and may sheer the screws.
1636622642890.png

Although the following design has the legs lower than the square, the legs have been notched and the square rests on these. So no screw sheering:

1636623058173.png

Thanks Enrico. Not sure that I understand that - but I've just sipped a little Pinot Grigio. I'll attempt to apply brain tomorrow.....:giggle::giggle::giggle:

My stand was designed by Andy Robinson in 2010. His plans are for a three-hive stand but my photo shows a two-hive version. The timber sizes depend on what's available/cheap.
The legs fold up so the stand would be suitable for taking to the heather. The weight of the hives does not fall on the articulation of the legs with the chassis but on the upper of the two cross-bars which run horizontally between the legs - the chassis rests on these. In my version I have recessed the cross bars into the legs a per photo.

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpeg
    IMG_0744.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
  • 86F922F7-972A-47AA-809C-56DC273A7656.jpeg
    86F922F7-972A-47AA-809C-56DC273A7656.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 18
Bees will get agitated when you inspect the other hives on the stand - because of the vibrations.

never found that to be the case to be honest, all my hives are in pairs, three to a stand at some times, nucs are four to half a dozen on a stand.

A note to those new to multi-stands.
Bees will get agitated when you inspect the other hives on the stand - because of the vibrations.
If you have more than 1 multi-stand, alternate between stands to give bees a chance to calm down.
What tools are you using to inspect - a pneumatic chisel?

If you have more than 1 multi-stand, alternate between stands to give bees a chance to calm down.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

I think that falls into the catorgory of theoretical but not actual.

Type of thing that gets written in the Daily Mail…….I'm not referring to anything in particular just the amount of tripe that gets published

If you are buying multiples (or bent on making your own like Hachi?:)) one could always buy extra and fit an intermediate support in the centre of the long run? Likely, at that price, the extra supports would be timber?

If you are fair at metalwork, it should not be difficult to make a jig and weld up your own. The outer box sections would possibly need the inner seams grinding back level. Apart from that a fairly simple job. Once the jig is sorted, it is simply a matter of cutting metal and welding.

I would paint with original Hunter’s Smoothrite - because I have a good amount, still, in several colours. A metal saw of some description (band, donkey or Rage type) would be a definite asset, too. I also have a shear, which can cut 4mm steel sheet without much effort.

All materials have rocketed in price recently, particularly steel, so I’m not surprised of the price advances. Still too expensive, IMO, when they are so easy to make if one is practical with metal.

I have three hives on a patch of uneven ground. I bought an Abelo stand because of the adjustable legs, and find it extremely good in that respect. It's made the siting of the hives and inspections so much easier.

My stand was designed by Andy Robinson in 2010. His plans are for a three-hive stand but my photo shows a two-hive version. The timber sizes depend on what's available/cheap.
The legs fold up so the stand would be suitable for taking to the heather. The weight of the hives does not fall on the articulation of the legs with the chassis but on the upper of the two cross-bars which run horizontally between the legs - the chassis rests on these. In my version I have recessed the cross bars into the legs a per photo.
Good design, sadly people seem to forget how heavy a hive can get and how rusty and weak screws or nails can get!

At over £100 @ set now I'm making my own. Used to buy them but way over my budget now
I make them myself nowadays, I'm an ex welder and it takes minutes to stich them together. Batch cut the sections in between jobs.
Won't be galv just painted.
Before I'm asked NO I won't for anyone else, but I bet a good engineering shop could do them for half price.

We have a corporate agricultural based customer who provides sites and these are ideal as pallets they really wouldn't like, even hives are in there own colours

All far too posh for me. :giggle: I scavenge pallets and any old bits of wood. I construct mainly one and two hive benches. I also make bigger ones that can take about four nucs.

Attachments

• Benchmaking2.jpg
    Benchmaking2.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 23
  • Making benches.jpg
    Making benches.jpg
    9 MB · Views: 23
  • Hivesbenches.jpg
    Hivesbenches.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 22
Back