Abelo 12 frame hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raybee

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Being new to bee keeping i got the new abelo 12 frame poly hive complete with frames and queen excluder, the hive is top bee space now here is my problem being top bee space the queen excluder should not rest on top of the frames but the one supplied does right or wrong?????

Welcome. Yes, the 12 frame is a funny one. I think they designed it and then thought "hmm, what do we do about a queen excluder on this thing?"

I have one, but I don't have the QEx as I don't use them.

Yes, their excluder is meant to sit directly on the frames

In theory this is OK, as long as you are careful not to crush bees when putting it on (easier said, with a rigid metal QEx)

But I wonder - could you test something? Put the QEx on, and the super box, then put a super frame in. How much space (mm) is there between the bottom of the super frame and the QEx? Enough for a bee (i.e. 6mm or so)? Ta

Standard 460mm x 460mm excluder sits on top of the rebate and maintains the top bee space.

It sits up against the bottom the super frames but is easily levered away.

That's how I run mine. I am not keen on the smaller size QX that sits directly on the frames.

Standard 460mm x 460mm excluder sits on top of the rebate and maintains the top bee space.

It sits up against the bottom the super frames but is easily levered away.

That's how I run mine. I am not keen on the smaller size QX that sits directly on the frames.

Thanks BMH. I was going to mention your video in which you discover that.

However, having a QEx which sits right up against the super frames is surely going to result in crushing when you replace the super box?

Possibly, but no more than placing a standard flat excluder onto the top of frames within a BBS system like the national. Bit of smoke to move them down before you add the super on should limit casualties.

Possibly, but no more than placing a standard flat excluder onto the top of frames within a BBS system like the national. Bit of smoke to move them down before you add the super on should limit casualties.

I was thinking of the bees on the underside of the super frames, but I know what you mean

Latest posts

Back