Abandoned by swarm :(

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazzabee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
11, mix of National & 14x12 + 2 Nuc
Hi All, I'm a new bee and i have a question about swarming.

On Sunday I was in my garden enjoying the sunshine with my baby daughter when to my horror a swarm issued from my 1 and only hive. I was shocked because in my inspection the previous weekend there had not been any queen cells present.

Luckily about 1 hour later they had all settled on a neighbours tree and we were able to collect them to bring them back home. We placed the swarm into a brand new hive with all brand new frames and wax and they began fanning like mad. More and more bees started to arrive following the rest to their new home and I was happy once again.

The next morning I could see traffic coming and going as normal from the new hive so phew panic over, or so I thought............

When I came home from work there was no traffic at all from the hive and upon inspection it was empty, they had abandoned their new home. :(

Does anyone have any ideas why this could be? Or is it just one of those things?

Thanx

P.s If anyone finds a strong swarm headed by a beautiful looking unmarked queen in the grays area, please can I have them back!! :)

Last edited:
Hi Dazzbee
Did you just put them on new wax. I always give them some drawn comb and a frame of brood if possible. It also helps to dampen bees and comb with some light sugar solution.(tip from old beek).
Having said that, I have lost a prime swarm this year and a cast swarm.
the cast just vacated the first day.
The prime swarm was so large I moved it from a NUC to a full hive 3 days after collection. Next day they beed-off.
Sometimes they just do what they want. NO CORRECTION!!!! they are women! They always do what they want!!!!!

ive had that happen twice last year.i think its one of those things. i do put a frame of brrod or a frame of drawn comb in. Im from Grays, if you need any help just PM me

Thanx guys, yeah we did just place them into the new hive with all new stuff.
I'll keep your suggestions in mind for next time! ;)

Know how you feel:puke:

Hived two prime swarms on Thursday night - one in a new 14 x 12 and one in a standard national - about six feet apart.

Both had gone by Saturday afternoon - don't know if it was because the hives were in full sun on such a hot day but not very happy to lose both - but hey ho that's life and hopefully both are doing well wherever they are.

Thebhoy

I have not had the pleasure of a prime swarm, but i collected a caste on tuesday night, as i had a nuc box with a handful of bees still in it (queen died) i hived the swarm in a brood box (no spare nucs) i plopped in some old comb, and some stores, then shut them up for some peace and quiet.

I went up last night to see that they were still there, and yes they are, but they looked to have decided the property next door was a better option and have moved into the nuc.

There were still bees left in the brood box too, is it possible to have two queens in a caste ?

I decided to leave them alone till the weekend, then will see what has actually happened.

Latest posts

Back