Patrick1 

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
I am bit late to this thread, sorry.

It seems to me that It is not too stretchy to think that Ants could have an impact on our hives as vectors, they are frequent visitors to most hives and are from the same order as bees Hymenoptera, they may well contribute to many of the transferable diseases.

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Some bee viruses have been isolated from ants but replication hasn’t been shown. Varroa carry CBPV but do they infect the bees?

masterBK 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
wintering 31
A few years ago I had a few colonies with sac brood and a few with CBPV ( all these colonies were derived from swarms collected from the Doncaster area). These were all re-queened from queens derived from my own colonies that did not manifest the signs of either of these virus conditions. Each subsequent year I have only reared queens from colonies that showed no signs of these and this year I did not have a single case amongst 31 colonies. Hopefully this will continue. I believe Genetic susceptibility pays a big part in the manifestation of viral diseases and in the case of CBPV genes determine whether infected bees show the type 1 or the type 2 syndrome.

Last edited:

Erichalfbee 

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I believe Genetic susceptibility pays a big part in the manifestation of viral diseases
You are not alone
I have heard talk of the Danish strain of Buckfast being more susceptible to CBPV

Patrick1 

Field Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Unfortunately I ended up with one of the four breeder queens a few years ago that went this way, It only happened one year out of the 15 that I have used the same source.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Isn't there some sort of inevitability about that sort of situation; the more we select, refine and restrict genetic variation in creatures, the more likely they are to not only express the desired traits but also various undesirable/unforeseen traits ? We have barely scratched the surface with most genome sequencing to determine the genetic makeup of an organism or cell.

Latest posts