a Warning !

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffin dodger

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 of my own + 2 shared
Hi All.
I'm still relatively new to beekeeping and still very enthusiastic about it all, first hive was set up and doing very well so I decided to go for a second one, I bought a 14x12 from a chap in Dewsbury, no problems there, it arrived within three weeks and was soon set up with yet another colony.

I decided to go back to the same chap for another two 14x12's as he was offering 20% off for flat packs and I'd have something to do over the winter period assembling them, the deal was done and the payment sent. Thats where it all started to go wrong, despite promises of delivery, nothing ever arrived, it's been 10 weeks now, he stopped replying to emails five weeks ago, he wont answer his phone or reply to messages, he's even ignored written requests sent recorded delivery for either the hives or a refund leaving me £220 out of pocket :hairpull:

I'm not going to leave it there as I intend to take it to the small claims court to see if I can get my money back. In the meantime, if anyone on the forum is thinking of buying anything from someone in Dewsbury who claims to be a cabinet maker and hive builder as well as a beekeeper, hang on to your money and go somewhere else !

Regards
CD

Thanks for the warning, good luck with the scc.

I nearly bought from this guy but as I live local to him, i was paying on collection. Unsuprisingly, he never got in touch to arrange collection...now I know why.

That is something never seen feedback that bad started off ok but then the wheels fell of big time.

Good luck with your claim CD I am guessing that perhaps a back story and a few problems with this chap and perhaps hiding behind the sofa, I have found its best to be honest even when it hits the fan people respect that but then I may be wrong and this chap is …….. you mentioned Dewsbury don’t know the place but know of a chap in Exmoore that ticks every box.

Nowaday the SCC will advise you that even if the person is found at fault and does owe you money, if he aint got it he cant pay you and theres nowt that can really be done about it. They can tell him to pay but thats about it.

You need to sort your problem out in person, not much help on a forum.

http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...sspagename=VIP:feedback&ftab=FeedbackAsSeller

Hi,

I'm not looking for any help from the forum, I just wanted to stop anyone else losing their hard earned money to a con man. the ebay link isn't for the same seller I bought from it was
http://feedback.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=beehivejoiner11&ftab=AllFeedback maybe the same seller with a different ID, I dont know but he's another rip off merchant to add to the list.

Regards
CD

Nowaday the SCC will advise you that even if the person is found at fault and does owe you money, if he aint got it he cant pay you and theres nowt that can really be done about it. They can tell him to pay but thats about it.

Thanks for that :) I've been talking to Consumer Protection about it, I've got to give him 30 days since he received the last letter asking for the goods or a refund (another 12 days to go) then they will take action on my behalf, it could be the small claims court, county court or the matter could be refered to the police as fraud, which ever way it goes, I'm not going to give up that easily.

Regards
CD

So did you buy this stuff thro ebay then?

Better buying from someone who can be trusted, and recommended. For example, there is a member of this forum (the clue is in his forum name !) who makes excellent quality hives and has a good website. Bit south of Dewsbury though, brother Adam country somewhere ...

How did you pay him?
If you used credit card or Paypal you might get your money back from them. Paypal work on the basis that if the seller cant show a tracking number then it didnt get sent.

Hi coffin, sorry to hear that you paid out money and never got your goods. As people have all ready stated that are forum members who make and sell equipment. I have mine made by a gentleman on her who has a shop attached to his workshop and is pleased for people to visit. He not far from you just Google your county name and Beehives.

Good luck getting your money back

Thanks for that :) I've been talking to Consumer Protection about it, I've got to give him 30 days since he received the last letter asking for the goods or a refund (another 12 days to go) then they will take action on my behalf, it could be the small claims court, county court or the matter could be refered to the police as fraud, which ever way it goes, I'm not going to give up that easily.

Regards
CD

Hi CD

We deal with this sort of claim all the time at work.

The police wont be even remotely interested. it's a civil matter, not criminal. You would have to be able to prove that he "intended" to rip you off to have ANY chance of going for Fraud, and good luck with that.

Small Claims Court is definately the way to go as a first step and once you get the ruling, if he does not pay, you can then press for a county court Judgement (if your willing to pay for it) and eventually an attachment of earnings or a charge on his property.

There is definately a route to go down, it's just whether or not you are willing to stump up the cash. Small claims court costs are not recoverable but county court costs are, assuming they rule in your favour and you will have to pay up front and take the risk.

The system of recovering debts in this country is VERY expensive and the people who dont pay, know this and count on the fact that you will not persue.

Good luck in what ever you decide to do.

Hi All,

Thanks for all the good advice and information not worthy Whatever happens, I'll pursue it to the bitter end, Interesting to find out that both sellers listed are in fact the same guy, it might be worth me passing that on to the consumer protection people next time I speak to them.

As I paid by cheque, I cant claim anything back through either paypal or credit card companys so I'll just have to wait until the full 30 days are up since I sent the last letter.

It doesn't look like I'll be getting my new hives this year now. I'll just have to save a little longer and look at buying a couple early next year, I'll make sure that I dont make the same mistake again !

Regards
CD

Before you go down the path of Small Claims it may be worth checking if this guy has outstanding County Court Judgements against him already - if so you may be well down the list for any chance of payment. You can check with the Register of Judgments, Orders and Fines

www.registry-trust.org.uk

but it will cost you, was about a tenner a few years ago.

I used it when a certain well-known mobile phone co did the dirty on me and I found they had PAGES of CCJs against them and clearly had no intention of paying. They also unleashed their dirty tricks dept on me when I continued to pursue them. I won in the end and was awarded costs and nominal compensation by the judge, but you need to be a rat-brained terrier to see these things through. Mine was for £600-odd, and I doubt that it was worth it except for the principle.

Better buying from someone who can be trusted, and recommended. For example, there is a member of this forum (the clue is in his forum name !) who makes excellent quality hives and has a good website. Bit south of Dewsbury though, brother Adam country somewhere ...

:iagree:
Bought from HM a couple of years ago and the hives are as good as the day I got them, they'll see me out and I'm not coffin-dodging yet!

Back