A tale of true survival

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumberman

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 and ahem "a few more"
Pictures show an experimental mating hive that I contrived last year that needs significant improvement to it, least of all a decent roof! The remarkable thing is that a small nucleus succesfully overwintered in this.

What is even more remarkable is that I removed the queen earlyish March ( can't quite remember exactly when) to replace a failed overwintered queen. I completly ignored the little hive until tonight, when I noticed far more bees than I expected for a dwindling colony.

Had a look inside - bursting with bees and brood in all stages including eggs. Now rehoused in small nuc using full size frames and rubber bands to hold mini combs together.

Note the luxurious accomodation including a swimming pool ( fondant store) and the slug tenants.

That’s impressive it will be interesting to see how they progress.

I found a slug in a nuc today :eek: It got evicted and may well be back now :cool:

Nice carnivorous leopard slugs... not only is their mating ritual amazing... but they eat other slugs

Polyanwood,

So you are trying to say that these slugs should be looked after to use as control of the nasty little ones that munch my plants?!

I am forever hoiking these out of nucs and particularly apidea's if they are just propped on the wall. I'm afraid I often drop them into salty water...:rolleyes:

Meg

Nice carnivorous leopard slugs... not only is their mating ritual amazing... but they eat other slugs
I'm always finding them in the cat's food dishes (biscuits) outside.:eek:
Yuk.

I'm always finding them in the cat's food dishes (biscuits) outside.:eek:
Yuk.

I have seen a thing I cant remember where but about leaving dogs toys out in the garden that said if a small slug or worm was on the toy and the dog was to pick it up in its mouth it could end up with a problem known as lung worm which is a parasite which is real dodgy.

My first post I have been a lurker for about 6 months I'm just learning but I felt compelled to reply to this

Could be wrong, but I think lungworm only affects sheep and the host is a snail mainly found on long grass - and watercress - so think about that when eating a summer salad! Lungworm causes the sheep to cough up the eggs, which lodge on the grass and thus continues the cycle.

Could be wrong, but I think lungworm only affects sheep and the host is a snail mainly found on long grass - and watercress - so think about that when eating a summer salad! Lungworm causes the sheep to cough up the eggs, which lodge on the grass and thus continues the cycle.

Lung worm is found in cattle as well - commonly known as husk. I think the Lorry may be thinking of Toxacaria which is a parasite which can be spread from animals (notably but not entirely dogs) to humans and can lead to blindness. However that is spread by contact with faeces.

Lungworm can definitely affect dogs, and I guess cats if they eat the slugs.

Our horses and donkeys are regularly wormed with anti lungworm anthelmintic, so perhaps all animals can suffer from this parasite?

There is an advert currently on one of the digital channels for a product to treat lungworm in dogs... I think this is what Lorry has seen. Slugs carry and spread the eggs of the lungworms

The ad is by Bäyer for dogs, are lung worms really a problem in dogs?
There is an advert currently on one of the digital channels for a product to treat lungworm in dogs... I think this is what Lorry has seen. Slugs carry and spread the eggs of the lungworms

Our horses and donkeys are regularly wormed with anti lungworm anthelmintic, so perhaps all animals can suffer from this parasite?

The ad is by Bäyer for dogs, are lung worms really a problem in dogs?

You've done it now, Luminos!

Formerly a leading light on the Forum (see what I did there?),
Now relegated to Outer Darkness for being associated with the Lord of Mordor!

D.

You've done it now, Luminos!

Formerly a leading light on the Forum (see what I did there?),
Now relegated to Outer Darkness for being associated with the Lord of Mordor!

D.

Lawd, guv - I been rumbled...:eek:

Latest posts

Back