A swarm has been sitting high in a tree above my apiary for 8 days now, despite good weather. Have they decided to stay?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A swarm has been sitting high in a tree above my apiary for 8 days now. Have they decided to stay?

• Yes, they are staying put and building comb, and won't move now.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • No, they will probably still relocate to a permanent home elsewhere

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • No idea

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is when you need a carbon fibre tree pruner or fishing rod with a bag on the end that you can put a frame of brood in. If it will reach the swarm they will be attracted to the brood frame.
Seen it work!

This is when you need a carbon fibre tree pruner or fishing rod with a bag on the end that you can put a frame of brood in. If it will reach the swarm they will be attracted to the brood frame.
Seen it work!

They were at the height of a 3 storey building ... but I know what you mean

Drone with some form of grabber... Or two drones, one with bag and other with loppers!

I could patent a design for a bait hive with a drone strapped to it. Just send it up and hover the bait hive next to the swarm. Can't see how this wouldn't work.

Admittedly you would get some minor minceage of flying bees, but hey ....

Could use a drone to hook a pulley an light line above the swarm, pull through a stronger line and haul up a frame of brood. Wait until swarm has gone onto it and slowly lower it.
I may be overthinking it :unsure: :laughing-smiley-014

Could use a drone to hook a pulley an light line above the swarm, pull through a stronger line and haul up a frame of brood. Wait until swarm has gone onto it and slowly lower it.
I may be overthinking it :unsure: :laughing-smiley-014
Why leave it at a frame. Let's get a whole bait box moved up there.

just aim at the branch, not the bees
At three storeys, even with choke, I think there might be some bee confetti.

Reminds me of a story I heard of an elderly friend when he was a student at Cambridge. One morning they discovered the night climbers had put a chamber pot on the top of Kings Chapel (IIRC). Nobody could get up to remove it so they called the army who sent someone with a rifle to shoot it down.

And in one swift movement, I begin to turn into JBM...

Seen it work!
I got one down from 7.5 metres for someone like that once:) (frame tied on) ....but yes Boston, three storeys too high and now too late anyhow.

What do people reckon? What's the longest you have seen a swarm bivouac for (apart from those which have been locked in place by rain etc)
Last year a swarm stayed on the gutter of our house for 13 days both on top and under the gutter. Weather was mostly good but they did get some rain. There was minimum activity while they were there. I saw them depart on the 13th day disregarding my bait hives. They left no comb behind.

Back