A strange year continues

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viridens

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
warre
Number of Hives
4. Experimenting with Warres after 30 years of Nationals
It's bright and 13 degrees here, the best weather for a while and the hives are very busy with plenty of pollen of many colours coming in. It's almost December now and I'm surprised to see drones still flying and large numbers of wasps still trying their luck. I can't remember this so late in the past. What are you seeing?

It's bright and 13 degrees here, the best weather for a while and the hives are very busy with plenty of pollen of many colours coming in. It's almost December now and I'm surprised to see drones still flying and large numbers of wasps still trying their luck. I can't remember this so late in the past. What are you seeing?
Not a lot, mine are hunkered down sheltering from incessant the wind and rain. :sunning:😞

Mine are out and about.... few bits of pollen still coming in. 12 degrees and sunny.

A few flying but forecast 3 C tonight , 8C max tomorrow and frosts later on in week so end of wasps (one or two left still) and no more flying...

Everything was rosy... then I took off my rose tinted spectacles!

10 c sunny and calm here on the hill and garden hives are bringing gorse in. Italian mongrels are huge colonys, I will be topping up with fondant which last year didn't happen untill Xmas and February.
One colony a three box hive has had 25kgs of fondant and will have more in a few days.
No wasps up here or at any of the other apiarys.
Italian mongrels have been trying to Rob some of my Amm nucs but they are holding there own.. First time I've observed robbing behaviour.
Time to say good buy to these queen's next year.
My plan was to fizzle out there genetics any way, now sooner rather than later.

Next weeks forecast locally is highs of 8c and frosts so hopefully some clustering going on.

Same as you Viridens - as busy as a Spring day here today. Lots of bees out getting the last of the ivy pollen. Mahonias in bloom here too. A little early methinks.

Quite warm and dry here on the Costa del Fareham... I saw a couple of drones on the landing boards - rather surprised me. The odd wasp still about but not bothering the bees at all. Plenty of bees flying and pollen being brought in. Some really deep red pollen ...according to the pollen chart this might be field scabious ... haven't seen any around but it's grown as a garden plant these days so might be a clump in somebodys garden ? Very long flowering season but end of November ! Wow ..

Wasps all gone, no drones, bees flying bringing pollen in.

I had to fit tunnel entrances to hives in the home apiary yesterday that had been free of wasp troubles until now; tunnel entrances still on at 2 more apiaries.

The Winter flowering honeysuckle is flowering already and the sun is out today, it certainly beats the gloomy wet weather we have been having for ages.

Drones still being kicked out!

Attachments

• IMG_1382.MOV
    7 MB
Back