A Strange one but linked

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hachi

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
Damn! A lot more than I ever thought I'd have
I've just negotiated a deal with one of my apiary landowners, to be allowed to store some bee equipment on site and in return, I help feed the feral (ratting) cats. There are 14 of the little darlings. I'm not a cat lover so need some advice from those who are amongst us who are cat lovers.

Where can I buy dry cat food in bulk please?

If they are feral ratters they hardly need you to feed them, I would have thought your only job would be to ensure they were in good health. If you feed them why would they go after rats?

In my experience cats don't do any damage to rats anyway as they are far too big to take on. Mice yes, but not rats; for rats you need a Jack Russell or two.

Last edited:
If they are feral ratters they hardly need you to feed them, I would have thought your only job would be to ensure they were in good health. If you feed them why would they go after rats?

In my experience cats don't do any damage to rats anyway as they are far too big to take on. Mice yes, but not rats; for rats you need a Jack Russell or two.

I have seen a cat catches younger rat. Also is taught to me that they do chase rats, especially older cats. But there is cat's nature if she feel for it she will go for it, no matter how big the rat is..
One of my cats attacked a snake longer of a meter, dad had to save a snake from cat.. One other as such big had no luck..
We give tablets in 3months period for internal parasites.. Strangely so far but our cats have no fleas so far and we don't treat them against, but ticks are pain in the ass - especially spring and some late summer, early autumn..
Maybe some trivia.. Our cats adore cantaloupes and winter squash ( especially fried squash), hazelnuts are also dessert to them. This doesn't have to be as same for your cats..

Last edited:
Just shoot them ..the song bird population will thank you..feral cats are a menace to wildlife i have fettled many..

If you do the above you have a apiary site with no ties and a booming songbird population..

As I heard not quite in Italy.. the songbird population is eaten by .. humans.. What you can eat from a bird of size of a sparrow.. Even from Croatia smuggled killed tiny birds to Italy.. I wouldn't know until one year in the news showed " death pile of birds" which police discovered in Croatia..

What I meant to say leave the cats at peace.. there is one other pest which is on top of the list and far more brutal..

Last edited:
Just shoot them ..the song bird population will thank you..feral cats are a menace to wildlife i have fettled many..

If you do the above you have a apiary site with no ties and a booming songbird population..

:yeahthat:

But then you can tell my my avatar that I'm a little biassed (or is that biased).

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

you guys kill me.

they're not my cats and the deal is, I get to store my kit there and in return, i make a contribution to their feed. the cheapest i've found is tinned at 99p/Kg after a couple of hours researching bloody cat foods on the net.

If anyone can beat that I'm all ears

Try you local supermarket?

Not all cats like rats - watch this! https://nypost.com/video/rat-shows-cat-whos-boss/

Someone is an idiot. Why would the farmer want cats around? Possibly a lot of corn in store which could get spoiled by rat infestation? Why would farmer want a deal like that if there were no cats?

Like Karol’ reply - a fat cat will not bother to catch a rat - or anything else, for that matter.

The gun (an air rifle), with night sights, would be better aimed at the rats, after dark, if there is an infestation beyond the cat’s capabilities to suppress them.

We had feral cats, they killed everything. They hissed at you if you got near, they had two litters of six kittens a year. They roamed for miles, they would catch all the song birds. Our bird table was like fort knox.glad we left them behind when we moved!
E

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

you guys kill me.

they're not my cats and the deal is, I get to store my kit there and in return, i make a contribution to their feed. the cheapest i've found is tinned at 99p/Kg after a couple of hours researching bloody cat foods on the net.

If anyone can beat that I'm all ears

Starfish are free if you collect them from the beach..:spy:

I heard you should feed them dog food, gives them a big cat mentality!

Lives too close to Bodmin moor for comfort!

Nos da

TD02-2.jpg

According to the internet.... from many sources... headache tablets, the ones that dissolve, mixed into wet food will kill them... please don't try this, 'cause it doesn't work :eek:

Back