A reason not to clip?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not diversion tactics just facts. If you want to argue to the nth degree you could say all life is about economics in one way or another!
If you don't clip then fine, it gives new beekeepers a chance of picking up your swarms. Personally, i don't want other peoples bees, happy with my own and do all I can to keep them. ?
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, i don't want other peoples bees, happy with my own and do all I can to keep them
Economics?

Not everything in life is about economics. Did you study at the LSE?

No, Bristol and studied an MSc in Ecology which is pretty relevant to the subject as it deals mostly with the economics of life!
S

Isn't ecology the study of living things in their natural state in their natural environment? Hmmmm!

Impressed though I am with your qualifications, you appear to be unable to form an argument in this regard. You have, and neither has anyone else, been able to state a reason apart from an economic one why queens are clipped.
I wait to be proved wrong.

isn't the keeping of bees itself an economic benefit, ergo any operation in beekeeping can be judged to have economic effects, one way or another

isn't the keeping of bees itself an economic benefit, ergo any operation in beekeeping can be judged to have economic effects, one way or another

Not technically, it depends on your justification and primary reason for keeping the bees.
I keep a dog. He serves no economic benefit at all. However if he was able to hunt me lots of rabbits I could justify economically the feed that I give him.
I keep him because he enriches my life. It transcends economics.

Last edited:
Have you witnessed any sign of distress from a clipped queen who can no longer fly and wishes to join her daughters in the colony's natural process which is the ability to swarm?
With respect I would have thought that someone with your obvious knowledge and experience would have thought a little deeper about this.

Peach of a reply. Rarely seen a post so dripping with a sense of superiority.

Clippings purpose is to delay the actual event of swarming. Period. It gives the beekeeper extra time to control and prevent the swarming. It is a strategy to retain an asset of value, AND a social responsibility. Peppering your area with swarms because you do not want to distress your bees by preventing it gets us all a real BAD name.

Distress? No real sign of it, and have many many times seen the swarm try to emerge and the queen be unable to join in. You just catch her, put a new brood box down on the spot, put her in a cage inside with a wee bit of candy to cause a short delay in her coming out again, and bingo.........a nice swarm when all the flyers come back. If she HAS come out there will be what we call a 'pudding swarm' nearby and this runs into a new hive in the blink of an eye when offered a new home.

If you want distress think of the neighbours who get an unwanted, and even terrifying at times to the lay person, swarm of bees in their garden or buildings. Think of the dissolute bunch that would barely fill a little nuc left in your hive on a few occasions when the swarm has gone, the castes have gone, and the last Q they have to get going again gets eaten by a swallow on her mating flight. It all happens.

Your tone to some of the other participants in this thread has been patronising in the extreme and bordering on the offensive. You are accusing amateur beekeepers of only doing things for economic reasons, which frankly seems like little more than trolling as it is so wrong. I am happy for you to accuse ME of doing things for economic reasons irrespective of its validity, but lay off the little guys.

Not technically, it depends on your justification and primary reason for keeping the bees.
I keep a dog. He serves no economic benefit at all. However if he was able to hunt me lots of rabbits I could justify economically the feed that I give him.
I keep him because he enriches my life. It transcends economics.

nope, your enrichment is itself of economic benefit (to you) as not all economics are financial.

Bit less of the little please ITLD though I know you are a bit jealous of my dieting success...lol

The dude might be happier with birds of a feather or possibly is from that cote of biotoxic's. When the heid yin drips superiority well...it all flows downhill.

PH

Your tone to some of the other participants in this thread has been patronising in the extreme and bordering on the offensive. You are accusing amateur beekeepers of only doing things for economic reasons, which frankly seems like little more than trolling as it is so wrong. I am happy for you to accuse ME of doing things for economic reasons irrespective of its validity, but lay off the little guys.

I find it funny that when someone can't form an argument they resort to calling someone a troll. I am asking people to think about their justification that's all. You have mentioned that it stops swarms spraying everywhere. Others have said this is good because it means more swarms to collect. Sorry you can't have it both ways.
If you want to get all indignant then fine. And please don't square up to me like some finger prodding hard man. It makes you look ridiculous.

nope, your enrichment is itself of economic benefit (to you) as not all economics are financial.

Hmmm, could be I guess, a definition of economic is called for then.
Like I said I am willing to be proved wrong. I mean this.

Sorry you can't have it both ways.
If you want to get all indignant then fine. And please don't square up to me like some finger prodding hard man. It makes you look ridiculous.

Where did I try to have it both ways? Erecting straw man arguments will get you nowhere.

Quite happy to be ridiculous. Have never had any issues about being laughed at. Do not suffer from that kind of paranoia.

This thread must not get out of hand like a previous one or further bans will no doubt ensue. You are deliberately winding people up (which is pretty well what trolling is) and no doubt will attempt to make an accusation of indulging in a 'parting shot' but really, I am not going to waste my time during the bee shifting season arguing with YOU. I have said my bit, you all know where I stand on the issue and no further input required.

I am unqualified, uneducated, incapable of 'thinking deeply', know nothing about bees (plainly), and without doubt no match for your vastly superior intellect.

ps.its true btw...I have NO beekeeping qualifications whatsoever!

Last edited:
Quite happy to be ridiculous. Have never had any issues about being laughed at.

not worthynot worthynot worthy

Shussss.... the sun came out.. blue sky.... jet stream moving northwards... high over UK

This is pointless.

PH

I agree nobody can form an argument or follow any logic without getting defensive.
Peace be upon you.
EDIT:

ITlD just to confirm I first said ' With respect' when replying to you. This was not a platitude.
The argument appears to have run its course.

Last edited:
ps.its true btw...I have NO beekeeping qualifications whatsoever!

Hope this doesn't sound condescending as it is not meant to but sorry you are wrong. You are one of the most qualified bee keeping educators I have had the pleasure to listen to and much better than any silly bit of paper!
All the best
S

Hope this doesn't sound condescending as it is not meant to but sorry you are wrong. You are one of the most qualified bee keeping educators I have had the pleasure to listen to and much better than any silly bit of paper!
All the best
S

:iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree::iagree:

sent from my pc with one remaining digit!

Hope this doesn't sound condescending as it is not meant to but sorry you are wrong. You are one of the most qualified bee keeping educators I have had the pleasure to listen to
:iagree:

Whether it's written on a certificate is irrelevant.

Most often I come across sealed queen cells and the old queen is happily laying up frames. I am as happy to clip as I am to squish those unwanted queen cells. It is an expedient and allows me wriggle room if I miss a stealth cell on a weekly inspection or have to miss one.

Upon the question of irresponsible or lazy beekeeping, I don't suppose that it is considered to irresponsible not to inspect Warre colonies and could anyone guarantee catching swarms from the same when they are many miles remote from home?

We each adopt systems that suit our purposes, whatever they may be.

If anyone finds clipping to be cruel or repugnant, then how do they live with squishing queen cells.

Mine is a personal opinion which is as valid as the next person's and backed by a reasonable degree of experience. I am happy to explain my thinking, but feel no requirement to justify my personal choices to anyone.

We should all look in our own back yard before warreying that others might be lazy or bad bee keepers.

This isn't theology 101 as far as I know.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back