A reason not to clip?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I equally don't buy the idea of mutilation either; a word that is chosen to create maximum emotive effect for something that if done properly causes very minimal impact on the queen.

Does that make me a lazy beekeeper?

I think it pretty well matches pretty well any definition of "mutilation" actually.

I also question "very minimal impact" - if it had no impact you wouldn't bother presumably.

Thats not to make any judgement on good/bad/lazy.

If a colony swarms then either the owner didn't inspect them properly and missed seeing any QC's or like this year failed to inspect due to the weather.:

This year, during the short window of heat and extreme nectar yield clipping was essential for any kind of control.

They were swarming from eggs in cups....just eggs. Some even went then raised emergency cells. Queens frequently found in the wrong hives. If they had been able to fly the mess would have been quite unreal. Very strange year though.

In general however clipping gives you two or three extra days before the prime swarm goes.

Have never seen a queen show any distress from clipping, it is dead tissue like hair or nails. To compare it with severing actualy living tissue in other creatures is erroneous. Have seen queens go into shock during the clipping process, but this is a handling issue rather than a clipping one.

Um...be good to have a few more answers to the original question please :).....Thank you :).....

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I clip. I am not a lazy beekeeper. The benefits to me at least are obvious. Having seen some spectacular movement to bees hell- bent on swarming at even a hint of good weather (and it being doubtful whether I can get around my hives just at the right time due to other things getting in the way) clipping is an effective swarm management procedure. It takes a fair amount of skill and deftness of hand too.

Have never seen a queen show any distress from clipping, it is dead tissue like hair or nails. To compare it with severing actualy living tissue in other creatures is erroneous. Have seen queens go into shock during the clipping process, but this is a handling issue rather than a clipping one.

Have you witnessed any sign of distress from a clipped queen who can no longer fly and wishes to join her daughters in the colony's natural process which is the ability to swarm?
With respect I would have thought that someone with your obvious knowledge and experience would have thought a little deeper about this.

Last edited:
I think you are discussing a hypothetical reaction which is somewhat anthropomorphic to a practical issue.

PH

On the original question, I know of no evidence.

It is not my experience that prime swarms first settle closer to the originating hive than cast swarms. I don't accept that a slimmed down mated queen is less 'fit'. (I do accept that in a fight between a mated and virgin queen, the virgin usually wins, but that isn't the same thing.)

I clip because swarms in an urban environment are really bad news.

Is there a good reason to wait until year 2 to clip the queen rather than just doing it afer the virgin has mated and is laying well in year 1?? My new queens have started to produce queen cells and so I'm seriously considering taking action now but just wanted to double check that I wasn't setting myself up for a disaster ...

I think you are discussing a hypothetical reaction which is somewhat anthropomorphic to a practical issue.

PH

No, I am exploring people's justification to clip. As it is perfectly legal it is up to the beekeeper. However, I do wish that people would be honest and admit to themselves, after a little thought, that the sole reason can only be economic.

Ah so you have already decided what the reason is?

Mine is practical. I do not live on top of my bees.

PH

Ah so you have already decided what the reason is?

Mine is practical. I do not live on top of my bees.

PH

Like I said, do a little thinking. What are you trying to affect and why?

I have probably thought about bees more than a lot. And a lot of people too for that matter.

Who am I affecting? No one which is why I clip as part of my routine swarm control.

Unlike some I do not spray the neighbourhood with unwanted swarms and over the years have collected and made safe for the general public over a hundred easily, and oddly not one had a clipped queen.

PH

Last edited:
Unlike some I do not spray the neighbourhood with unwanted swarms and over the years have collected and made safe for the general public over a hundred easily, and oddly not one had a clipped queen.

PH

good post, PH

just like to add that I'd receive less calls regarding bees in chimneys if more beekeepers clipped their queens
which would also result in a lot less colonies being killed each year.

Last edited:
Has someone we know and love come back to the fold and instead of "think about it" in a grumpy fashion, is now saying "Like I said, do a little thinking" :rolleyes:

By the way, I clip all my queens and as far as I know, the number of swarms lost this year and annoying other beekeepers /public: ‘Zero’.
I often wonder how some beekeepers manage to take the lid off their hives as in the process of putting it back on you will naturally squish a few bees. Clipping the wing of a queen is far less intrusive and does no harm. If it did the colony would soon kick her out or supercede.
Have fun
S

Sorry guys nice diversion tactics but you have been unable to give an argument that has not been economic in nature.
Swarms lost = economic
Bees in chimneys = economic
Gives me a extra few days between inspections = economic
Reduces travelling to out apiary = economic

Just admit it. There's nothing wrong in it but it is the reason why queens are clipped.

Latest posts

Back